Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty Shifting Into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:42 AM
RamblinEngineer

Default Difficulty Shifting Into 2nd

Hey everyone,

I bought a 2014 Mustang GT new back in July and have about 7,500 miles on it currently. Since I first got it, I have always noticed that the shifter seems to resist moving into 2nd gear on both normal and high rpms. When doing the 1-2 shift, as the shifter moves from the neutral area to second gear it feels like it is rubbing against the 2nd gear before it shifts fully into gear. Basically I have to light push the shift down for about a second or so before it slips into second. I also experience this going into 3rd as well but at less frequency compared to the 2nd gear. I have been looking into getting a MGW shifter to help with the issue but wonder if this could be a transmission issue because the shifter movement from 1-2 is smooth when the car is stopped and in neutral.

Could anyone shed some light on this issue? Not sure if this is something I should take to the dealership under warranty.

Thanks for reading
Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RamblinEngineer
Not sure if this is something I should take to the dealership under warranty.
Free and a service record of the problem, or spend several hundred dollars with no record of the problem to find out it was an internal problem and then be told" too bad, the aftermarket shifter caused the problem".
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

The stock shifter set up for this car is notoriously sloppy and imprecise. The MGW is the 75% solution but an aftermarket shifter plus the BlowFish shifter bracket is the 95% solution. With the MGW and the BF bracket my 1-2 shift is still a bit notchy but the nibble and graunching of gears has been eliminated.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Are you hitting the Skip Shift Lockout? If you are running the stock tune and have not unplugged the lockout yourself, it would seem reasonable that this could be your issue... Unless the '14 didn't come with this feature like my '12 did.

Don
Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I have the same issue. When shifting into second, it shifts, but not completely in. When I let the clutch out, sometimes it slips into gear, sometimes it grinds and slips out.

I have an issue with 5th gear, as well. From 4th to 5th, with the clutch fully depressed, sometimes the shift catches as it slots into 5th and I feel a slight grind for a split second. As you m/t owners know, it really makes one grit their teeth, I cringe every time i shift into 5th! Would an aftermarket shifter help this issue?

The car's still under warranty but everytime i get a service and mention a flaw about the car they never seem to get it situated.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Are you hitting the Skip Shift Lockout? If you are running the stock tune and have not unplugged the lockout yourself, it would seem reasonable that this could be your issue... Unless the '14 didn't come with this feature like my '12 did.

Don
After doing some online research, it seems they discontinued the skip shift feature for 13' and 14'.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
After doing some online research, it seems they discontinued the skip shift feature for 13' and 14'.
That's good to know... It's an absolutely useless feature. I am so glad my FRPP tune deactivated it when it did... Nothing like dropping it into 4th from 1st and just putter along... Thank God for the torque.

Don
Old 11-11-2014, 01:53 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I wonder if a short throw would solve the issue?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

It's a new car with a full warranty - why would you NOT go to the dealer with an issue?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

This is a no-brainer. Take the car to the dealer. Get it documented at the very least, and repaired if it is an actual issue.

Quick Reply: Difficulty Shifting Into 2nd