Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will these scratches buff out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
stress crack? so do you think they were there before or did it happen from tail light scraping?

and btw when i run my finger nail over i can't feel them...surface feels smooth so hoping it will be ok. I buffed my car earlier spring 2014 so I will wait til spring 2015 to buff again because I hear too much buffing can be bad as well.
I've only had my car buffed once in its life and I went to a very reputable detail shop that knows mustangs and they always buff real lightly. I went by them yesterday and they said it should buff out, but I'm gonna wait til spring to get it done.

what is a stress crack exactly? did I get the stress crack from laying the tail light on the bumper and the weight of the tail light made it crack? Or did i have that crack before?

but yes, the scratches do not catch my nail at all and with my finger they feel as smooth as rest of the car.
I wasn't trying to worry you when I mentioned that the stress crack....but the shapes of those last (2) areas you showed in your vidoe sure looked like it.

A paint stress crack in a bumper is typically caused by some sort of impact.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 AM
RenGen
Banned

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I wasn't trying to worry you when I mentioned that the stress crack....but the shapes of those last (2) areas you showed in your vidoe sure looked like it.

A paint stress crack in a bumper is typically caused by some sort of impact.
damn i mean i had a bit of trouble installing the tail light but do u really think i got those stress cracks from the weight of the tail light? or maybe from something else?

so whats the fix for stress crack? gotta sand away all the paint and repaint bumper? **** it i guess its here to stay then whatever doesnt buff out. not surprised god loves ****ing my life as much as he can.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

damn i mean i had a bit of trouble installing the tail light but do u really think i got those stress cracks from the weight of the tail light? or maybe from something else?

so whats the fix for stress crack? gotta sand away all the paint and repaint bumper? **** it i guess its here to stay then whatever doesnt buff out. not surprised god loves ****ing my life as much as he can.
You definitely didn't get stress cracks from tailights. Watch your video again, and really look at the difference between the first set of marks and the second/third. The first set looks like the bottom of the taillight rubbed up against the clear and cause them....there's no pattern. Now look at the second and third....there appears to be a similar pattern with both of them.

The first set, as long as they aren't deep, should buff out. Stress cracks do not buff out...or wet sand out. Stress cracks are damaged areas that would require repainting.

...again, I'm only mentioning what I "assume" to see in the video. If you want reassurance, take it to a body shop and get their opinion. I hope I'm wrong!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you can't feel the stress cracks under your nail that means the base and/or color coat is what is damaged. No amount of sanding or buffing will get them out as they are UNDER the clear coat. The only way to get under the clear coat is to remove it. You do that, you ruin the paint on the bumper.

If the cracks are that bothersome, get the bumper repainted.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

what is a stress crack exactly? did I get the stress crack from laying the tail light on the bumper and the weight of the tail light made it crack? Or did i have that crack before?

but yes, the scratches do not catch my nail at all and with my finger they feel as smooth as rest of the car.
Stress cracks are typically on the body panel itself so in your case, the bumper.
With urethane bumper you'll get a stress crack upon light impact or too much weight pressure on a small area.
So when the bumper cracks, the paint does as well.
You didn't get a crack from laying your tail light on it, that crack was there before...

As far as not feeling the ridges of the scratches with your nails, it's fine but do not get those guys to wet sand coarser than 2000 grit before buffing because too much clear will come off and your finish will dull shortly.
If after that you still can see them, then you'll have to re-spray if you can't live with the results.