Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering month by month?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 AM
RenGen
Banned

Default lowering month by month?

was wondering how this idea i had would work if i wanted to save money

thinking ill order adjustable panhard bar next month and get it installed at a shop..then save for a month or 2 and then install 1.5" lowering springs/camber bolts/alignment - should that work out nicely?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:20 AM
RenGen
Banned

btw lookign at this bar cus the SR one been out of stock for months!! only diff i can see is that its not double adjustable, should that be ok?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-adj-panhard-0512.html
Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

It's suggested that you replace the struts and shocks with something like Tokico D-specs or Konis at the same time you change springs because the ride will become bouncy since the stock struts and shocks aren't designed for the lowered suspension. Also, by having them done at the same time, you'll save yourself some money.

If you're going to go month by month, get all the parts you need, then take it in to have everything installed at once.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr
It's suggested that you replace the struts and shocks with something like Tokico D-specs or Konis at the same time you change springs because the ride will become bouncy since the stock struts and shocks aren't designed for the lowered suspension. Also, by having them done at the same time, you'll save yourself some money.

If you're going to go month by month, get all the parts you need, then take it in to have everything installed at once.
This!

You don't want to half *** the job. Get it all done at once, especially if you're on a budget like it sounds like you may be. It'll be cheaper in the end. I know it can be hard to have the parts sitting in your garage waiting to go in, but in the end you'll be glad that you did.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I'm running the Eibach Sportline springs on my 2014 GT with the Eibach camber bolts with factory shocks. The ride to me feels just fine; it seems to really hug the road, but isn't harsh or bouncy. I recommend the panhard bar, specifically the B&M adjustable bar. Now, I haven't gotten mine on yet, but another member here who is in my car club has had two now on two of his mustangs (a 2013 GT, and 2012 Boss 302, both with Eibach Sportline Springs), and I can attest to the ease of adjusting it.

In my opinion, which may not be worth too awfully much, you can go ahead and put on your springs and camber bolts, and then go a little before you do your panhard bar. But from my experience, if you can get it done all at the same time, you'll be better off. Also, if you have any mechanical skills, or if you are like me and have a good friend with the know how, you can go to AutoZone and borrow a spring compressor, and knock out the spring swap pretty quickly. When we did mine, we started at 0800 with two cars. We did the front springs on both cars and the rear springs on mine and were done by 1230, and that included time sitting around shooting the breeze. It definitely saved money having them installed and all I had to pay for was an alignment 2 weeks later after the suspension settled in.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:08 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

You don't need double adjustable on the panhard bar.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

This forum has saved me from doing kind of what you are planning. After doing investigation here & on other forums I've come to the conclusion there is no other way than doing it at one time the correct way - and it's not cheap.

Let's put it this way - if I was looking for a used S197 & it was lowered, I would walk away unless it had the complete setup with quality parts.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Do it all at once, and do it right. It took me 6 months to save up for all of the suspension parts, but I am glad I waited. It is worth the wait to do it all at once. Add shocks to your list and you should be set.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Yes yes and yes to several of the posts... Far cheaper to do once than make multiple visits for service and even if you are a do it yourselfer, much less time overall to do it all at once
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Less is more. Don't half-*** something like this. Would you upgrade on headlight at a time to HIDs? Of course not. Would you upgrade half your brakes? No way.

Quick Reply: lowering month by month?