Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gear Shudder on Take-off, what is cause?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
I had the exact same issue, like 100% exactly the same, and it wound up just needing the differential to be serviced, which I think cost about 200 dollars.

Which makes some sense, though I'm not 100% mechanically inclined, the gears in the rear end do spin in relationship to the driveshaft due to friction/interaction between the fluid and clutch packs.

Obviously when you're stopped, there is more work (force * distance, hah) required to make the vehicle move, whereas when you're already moving, you have inertia working in your favor, so even if it does shudder, you may not be able to notice it.

Anyway, mine happened around the same mileage (53,000).
Was this on your 2011? Do you have any suspension mods?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Yeah, and I have no oil spots on the ground. I still need to get under the car and really look around, but I am highly doubting that it is oil on the clutch. Especially since it only occurs after a highway drive.

Deysha, realistically, what would my dealer do for me if they can replicate the issue? Tell me I need a new clutch and then give me a hefty bill for a new clutch? It wouldn't be covered under any warranties, would it? Calling ford just sounds like a waste of time.
I didn’t know your dealer has not been able to duplicate your concerns, BrazenStang. I can escalate this for you and have them work with the customer service manager for your area to get this resolved. You can PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. The service manager at your dealer would advise you what is and isn’t covered. Also, remember most repairs performed at a Ford Dealer come with a 2 year/unlimited mile warranty.

Deysha
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Was this on your 2011? Do you have any suspension mods?
Yep, on the 2011. And nope, the car is bone stock, no exhaust, stock suspension, doesn't even have a K&N filter.

Car does have 3.55's from the Factory.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
I didn’t know your dealer has not been able to duplicate your concerns, BrazenStang. I can escalate this for you and have them work with the customer service manager for your area to get this resolved. You can PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. The service manager at your dealer would advise you what is and isn’t covered. Also, remember most repairs performed at a Ford Dealer come with a 2 year/unlimited mile warranty.

Deysha
The car hasn't been to the dealer, yet. It is scheduled for next Tuesday. However, this is not an everyday issue. It takes a decent highway drive to experience the problem. This is why I don't think the dealer will be able to replicate. I'll let you know what happens after Tuesday.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:45 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

The car hasn't been to the dealer, yet. It is scheduled for next Tuesday. However, this is not an everyday issue. It takes a decent highway drive to experience the problem. This is why I don't think the dealer will be able to replicate. I'll let you know what happens after Tuesday.
I understand, BrazenStang. Be sure to let them know when and how it happens, so they can try to do the same to recreate it. Definitely keep me updated.

Deysha
Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM
cedarmn
1st Gear Member

My neighbor has this same issue. It was not a worn clutch. It was a faulty clutch that was out of balance. Covered under warranty
Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I had clutch shudder on my 04,when the intake manifold went bad.Antifreeze would roll down the block valley,and through a hole at the back,where it would fall into the clutch.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:33 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cedarmn
My neighbor has this same issue. It was not a worn clutch. It was a faulty clutch that was out of balance. Covered under warranty
Did your neighbor have this issue on every start or intermittent?

I have not driven the car in 2 months because of the weather. I'm hoping to get her out this week. The dealership could not replicate the issue, like I suspected. They have noted it and if I get it to happen again I will stop by to take a tech for a ride. I guess time will tell.
Old 09-02-2023, 05:12 PM
americanmuscle1776

So this problem just recently started showing up in my 2012 GT w/ MT82. The car has 47K miles. The car shifts smooth and goes into all of the gears the same way that it always has.

The shudder occurs when taking off from a stop in a straight line. It does not occur all of the time. I first noticed it after a 2 hour drive on the freeway, and the shudder occurred when I was near my destination in stop and go traffic. The shudder is only in 1st gear. It also happened again after about an hour drive on the highway and when I got into town stopping at red lights, etc. Once the shudder starts to happen, the only way for it to completely go away is for the car to cool off overnight. After sitting overnight and going for relatively short trips around town there is no shudder. This is all normal daily driving with normal launches.

It is NOT the motor hesitating or dropping RPMs. Could it be brake/clutch fluid needs to be replaced? Maybe heat soaking is causing the fluids to expand? Or my gut feeling, do you think throwout bearing and/or clutch are beginning to go bad?
What happened with my mustang:

60K miles clutch started shuddering a little at first then horribly coming out of 1st and reverse

No matter how much gas you gave it or how quick you let the clutch out, it felt like when a beginner driver is learning to drive stick and stalls the car out—that kind of shuddering.

The ford dealership said it’d take 1 whole month for them to get to the repair on my car and that I’d have to leave the car with them for the entire month.

Obviously, I couldn’t go without a car for that long, so I did some research and found a highly rated private mechanic shop near-ish me.

They diagnosed the problem and installed a brand-new clutch and flywheel (regular ford replacement clutch and flywheel—i.e., not a fancy performance one)

No check engine light initially, within 24 hrs check engine light came on

Went to mechanic. Hooked up scanner #1 (Zurich ZR15S)

I took a picture of the code: P0304 (meaning cylinder misfire in 4th cylinder) to look up later even though mechanic told me not to worry about it.

I looked it up and seemed like it was potentially pretty dangerous

Did some research on ford forums and found discussions about people having had a similar error code (as well as other P03 codes for other cylinder misfires) specifically following clutch and flywheel replacement. These forums mentioned crank relearn and misfire monitor neutral profile correction as potential solution.

Went back within the hour with that limited info and mechanic was initially very hesitant to believe that that was the issue or the solution to the problem—he had never heard of a crank relearn on a mustang, he said.

Understandable: he’s reacting as a doctor would if you came in and started spouting off things you think are wrong with you from having looked at web md—i.e., he’s the professional and people who come in with that type of commentary usually have no idea what they’re talking about.

However, he looked on scanner #2, higher tech looking and didn’t see an option for crank relearn.

Might’ve been a snap on scanner (?), not positive on that, but it definitely looked more like this one:
Mechanic cleared code, said maybe it was a glitch since I wasn’t experiencing any engine misfire.

Went home. No problem till next day, check engine came back on.

Later that night, I actually felt the engine misfire (before I experienced it, I wasn’t sure exactly what that’d feel like, so I wasn’t 100% sure if I’d even be able to recognize it, but once it was actually happening, I knew immediately). The feeling was like a vibrating ratatat when depressing the gas pedal, and when I felt that immediately looked at the check engine light and saw that it had began blinking. That all lasted for about 10 seconds, then it was fine again, though the check engine light was still on.

So, then I was worried, so I did more research: texted mechanic that there was a lot of talk about check engine light problem after clutch and flywheel replacement on mustang forums. So, despite me not being a professional mechanic, asked him to look into it again with the key terms crank relearn/misfire monitor neutral profile correction.

See official ford technical service bulletin (TSB) outlining the problem:

Had car towed to shop just to be safe since I’d experienced an actual engine misfire the nigh before

He hooked up the Snap On scanner above and when I got there, he said he thinks I might be right. Cleared the check engine light, then ran the profile correction.

Link vid to people running that profile correction:

Been 2k+ miles and running like a top now, no check engine light has come back, and the car is running great. Note: for a few hundred miles (about 500 or so) after clutch and flywheel replacement, there was slight shudder (nowhere even near what it was like when I first brought it in) in shifting out of first and reverse. However, have read others experienced the same break in period post clutch and flywheel replacement, and shudder went away completely by 1k miles.

Turns out then whenever transmission is removed from engine, the computers inside the car need to be recalibrated.

See 2:06 for what it looks like when your transmission Is separated from the engine to access the clutch and flywheel for replacement:

Bottom line: super easy fix, just have to know about the “misfire monitor neutral profile correction” process and send them this doc/insist that your mechanic hook his scanner up and run it, even if he’s understandably skeptical because he’s never heard of it.