Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 MT82 with 14k miles warranty VOIDED, dealer extorting me for $2k in fees

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
I'd honestly do everything you can right now to be patient.

The reason (I'm sure) the original estimate was for ~$2000 was most likely because you said you wanted to take it (drivable) out in the same condition it was when you drove it in there.

I'm sure if there were broken parts such that the transmission couldn't be re-assembled with them in that condition, they'd have to replace those parts, etc.

Having something towed as-is is a lot different than having it re-assembled well enough to drive out.

Taking everything at your word, (i.e. that you've never actually flogged on the car), the fact that Ford is out there again, and taking this long, means it's going through a lot of red tape, and probably in your favor.

Over the years, I've worked at several large companies that you'd be familiar with. You'd be amazed how many people take close to the entire month of December off.

Keep in mind, even if the FSE went back and approved it, it would have to go a regional/department manager, and possibly the department head/CEO. You have no idea the amount of bureaucracy that goes into these things.

Just be patient.

How have you been managing? Rental Car or do you have a separate vehicle?
I will continue to stay patient, you are correct.

They wouldn't give me a rental car or a loaner vehicle, so right now I am borrowing a parent's car but it's not ideal.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:10 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
why would they put a shredded transmission back together, and expect the customer to pay for useless work?
Because the OP asked them how much it would cost to put it back together. I was merely commenting on the charge and how it's pretty close to what it should be for the steps I listed.

If it were me, and I REALLY liked the car (other than the transmission) and intended to keep it, I'd just pay the $275 they want to charge him and have it towed home. At that point, I'd start saving for a Tremec Magnum XL kit and forget about getting an OEM replacement altogether (they're widely regarded as crap). The kit is about $4500, but doesn't include a clutch or throwout bearing, so total cost will be close to $5500, not including labor to install it. Overall, he'll end up with a MUCH better transmission for right around the same money Ford wanted to put in a new crappy OEM transmission.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
Because the OP asked them how much it would cost to put it back together. I was merely commenting on the charge and how it's pretty close to what it should be for the steps I listed.

If it were me, and I REALLY liked the car (other than the transmission) and intended to keep it, I'd just pay the $275 they want to charge him and have it towed home. At that point, I'd start saving for a Tremec Magnum XL kit and forget about getting an OEM replacement altogether (they're widely regarded as crap). The kit is about $4500, but doesn't include a clutch or throwout bearing, so total cost will be close to $5500, not including labor to install it. Overall, he'll end up with a MUCH better transmission for right around the same money Ford wanted to put in a new crappy OEM transmission.
The 1st gear in the Tremec is like 2.8 something. This car is a v6 with no mods so I cannot imagine the gear ratios in the tremec would suit my vehicle very well.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:02 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

There are 2 options with the Tremec T56 Magnum XL, the ratios are:
1) 2.66:1st 1.78:2nd 1.30:3rd 1.00:4th 0.74:5th 0.50:6th
2) 2.97:1st 2.07:2nd 1.43:3rd 1.00:4th 0.80:5th 0.62:6th

With the v6 you will probably want the 2.97 and a diff gear change to get the most out of the motor.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:52 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
There are 2 options with the Tremec T56 Magnum XL, the ratios are:
1) 2.66:1st 1.78:2nd 1.30:3rd 1.00:4th 0.74:5th 0.50:6th
2) 2.97:1st 2.07:2nd 1.43:3rd 1.00:4th 0.80:5th 0.62:6th

With the v6 you will probably want the 2.97 and a diff gear change to get the most out of the motor.
I feel like even with a gear change its just not suitable for my car...

I don't have the $5k+ to drop anyway
Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

I read all this and some from google searches on "Mustang MT-82 transmission problems," now I'm in fear of taking my 2014 GT to the dealer for what I'll try to explain as High-pitched grinds when shifting into 6th gear. Ugh! Thanks Internetz!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I doubt the OP's situation is very common, we may not be hearing the entire story.

I've worked with a couple of dealers who were very good at taking care of these kind of issues. Having said that, I never purchased extended warranties, I'd rather do the repair myself or have a shop I trust do the repair.

Buchez09GT, If it was mine, I's take it in right away-driving if it does have a problem may damage it further.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
I doubt the OP's situation is very common, we may not be hearing the entire story.

I've worked with a couple of dealers who were very good at taking care of these kind of issues. Having said that, I never purchased extended warranties, I'd rather do the repair myself or have a shop I trust do the repair.

Buchez09GT, If it was mine, I's take it in right away-driving if it does have a problem may damage it further.
The grind has only happened 3 or 4 times and only when on the highway but the car's only got 11k miles on it. I shouldn't be dealing with these issues.

This is the first car I've bought from a dealership with factory warranty. I'm ignorant when it comes to dealing with them. You only ever hear about problems with dealerships never the good stuff.

Like you, I've always worked on my own car. I hate the thought of putting my baby in the hands of an unknown.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow

You are hearing the full story. I have nothing to gain but unhelpful advice if I post the wrong facts on here. What I have described is completely true and isnt missing any holes.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:16 PM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by Buchez09GT
I read all this and some from google searches on "Mustang MT-82 transmission problems," now I'm in fear of taking my 2014 GT to the dealer for what I'll try to explain as High-pitched grinds when shifting into 6th gear. Ugh! Thanks Internetz!
Well there's no shortage of "OP should have" posts. You have the knowledge in this thread that you need in order to bring it in and still protect yourself from OPs situation. Make sure the warranty investigation costs are covered (in writing) before you authorize any work.

Or bring a briefcase full of cash in the event they hold your car ransom. Note that with this option you will look cooler with leather gloves and the briefcase handcuffed to you.

Quick Reply: 2014 MT82 with 14k miles warranty VOIDED, dealer extorting me for $2k in fees