Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New clutch and flywheel but same issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:55 PM
RudyT

Default New clutch and flywheel but same issues.

Hey everyone, I have a 2012 v6 mustang and recently at 30k miles it started to have issues with taking off. The clutch pedal got very soft and if i punched it the RPM's would hit 7k but the car would only make it to like 15mph. So i thought this was a bad clutch.

I ordered a new spec stage 1 clutch kit with a new aluminum flywheel all from spec. I had these parts installed at a Ford dealer because i wanted it done right with no issues. Well i went through a break in period of 500 miles making sure to stay under 4k RPM's. I have over 2k miles (long trip) on the new clutch and flywheel and i still have the same issues. The mechanic that replaced my clutch was confused on why im replacing the clutch at 30k miles because he looked at it and said the OEM clutch looks fine its not worn out.

Not only that but the new clutch and flywheel have added a lot of noise to the car, it sounds like im missing a exhaust pipe especially going up hills. To me it sounds like a lot of grinding or sand paper noise. The noise got louder and louder the more miles i put on the car. The issue of no torque from takeoff is still there. I cant beat any car on take off i mean anything.

I have the car back at the dealership now and they are suggesting that sometimes performance parts can cause issues. I doubt this. They are also suggesting its because im making the mistake of taking off from 3rd gear. Like all of a sudden i forgot where first and 3rd are located.

Bottom line is the car has the same issue as it did with all the original OEM parts but now with a lot more noise. I have no idea what’s going on here and neither does the shop.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:15 PM
RudyT

I forgot to add that i also get a lot of retelling noise when i am idling at a stop especially when the AC is on. The mechanic stated this is due to the new clutch and flywheel after they heat up its causing rattling to occur on the car. The rattling stop if I press in the clutch pedal and hold it in, being in gear does not matter. As long as I hold the pedal in I get no noise if I let go of the pedal the noise starts. Not sure if anyone with a SPEC stage 1 clutch kit and flywheel has any rattling issues out there.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

It's been my experience that if you tell a service shop that the clutch needs to be replaced, they will replace the clutch. If you tell the shop your car's symptoms, they will fix the problem. Most likely your clutch was fine and they made the original problem worse.

it sounds like im missing a exhaust pipe
It's pretty likely that you have an exhaust leak, you should be able to find it pretty easily.
Did anyone check the clutch release hydraulics? Sounds like they are not releasing correctly.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I put a Spec stage 1 and flywheel on an 08 I used to have, and it did have a rattling noise, but I never cared enough to find out where it was coming from, but I thought it was something to do with the slave cylinder. I would have them check all the transmission bolts to the proper torque specifications to see if that is something that is rattling.