Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light figure and bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Fog light figure and bulb

Hey guys,

I need some help. I tried replacing a fog bulb on the passenger side and seem to be having a great deal of issues. I replaced with driver side with some moderate difficulty. However, my hand was able to fit behind the grille to replace it. I couldn't do it on the passenger side. So I came up from under the car and reached up to take out the bulb and put the new one in. But for the life of me, I can not screw the thing back in. And yes, before you ask, I confirmed they are compatible; direct Salvania replacements.

And to make matters worse, I bumped that piece of metal and it fell into the housing.

Now what? There has got to be an easier way to do this.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:41 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Can you retrieve the metal bit with a magnetic retriever tool? It's tough to assemble something blind. I suspect you are just a bit off with your alignment or the starting point for thread engagement trying to put in the new bulb.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Apparently you're supposed to pull the grille out slightly to replace the fog light bulbs, which mine barely did. I was cussing the whole time I did mine, they made that way too tight in there.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Just take the bumper (with the grille attached to it) off. Sounds difficult but it takes 15 minutes and seems way easier than what you guys are trying to do (big hands in little spaces).

The other thing is you could just unscrew the two screws at the top of the bumper (under the plastic radiator cover) That will allow you some wiggle room from the top.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=479&viewfile=Bumper Cover Front.pdf

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=391&viewfile=Fog Lamp Bulb.pdf

Too funny...I just looked and the bumper cover removal method is how the Ford Shop Manual recommends doing it
Old 12-11-2014, 09:17 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
Can you retrieve the metal bit with a magnetic retriever tool? It's tough to assemble something blind. I suspect you are just a bit off with your alignment or the starting point for thread engagement trying to put in the new bulb.
I could probably get it to the hole, but how do I get back in place? I think it is too big to fit through the bulb hole.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:18 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Just take the bumper (with the grille attached to it) off. Sounds difficult but it takes 15 minutes and seems way easier than what you guys are trying to do (big hands in little spaces).

The other thing is you could just unscrew the two screws at the top of the bumper (under the plastic radiator cover) That will allow you some wiggle room from the top.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=479&viewfile=Bumper Cover Front.pdf

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=391&viewfile=Fog Lamp Bulb.pdf

Too funny...I just looked and the bumper cover removal method is how the Ford Shop Manual recommends doing it
Thanks, I will have to give it a try this weekend.