Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall 2005-2008 Mustangs--driver air bag

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Default Recall 2005-2008 Mustangs--driver air bag

On December 19, 2014, NHTSA announced recall campaign number 14V802000. This recall includes Mustang model years 2005-2008 that were manufactured August 1, 2004 to June 30, 2007, regardless of the state in which the vehicle was sold or registered.

In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver side frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.

Ford has not yet provided a notification schedule. Ford's number for this recall is 14B09.

Happy holidays, and be careful out there.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:12 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I noticed this on the ongoing thread for this matter. I'm curious to see how else it might expand in the future.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 AM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone contacted their dealer about replacing the airbag yet? Just curious about what they are saying regarding the timing of the replacements. Since I just bought mine and I'm the 4th owner, I'm quite sure I will not be contacted by Ford.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:06 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZGrand
Has anyone contacted their dealer about replacing the airbag yet? Just curious about what they are saying regarding the timing of the replacements. Since I just bought mine and I'm the 4th owner, I'm quite sure I will not be contacted by Ford.
it's worth calling the dealer service department to ask. Even if parts aren't available yet it could get your name on the list.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:28 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I highly doubt they would contact you.

It would make sense to update ownership of a given VIN when it is brought in for normal service but in my experience this is not the case.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:10 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d

I highly doubt they would contact you.

It would make sense to update ownership of a given VIN when it is brought in for normal service but in my experience this is not the case.
Doesn't matter if you are the original owner or the fifth. Recalls are issued to the car not the owner. The recalls are mailed out based on last know registration address thru state DMVs. If your car is affected by the recall and it's registered in your name then you will get a notice.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:33 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Doesn't matter if you are the original owner or the fifth. Recalls are issued to the car not the owner. The recalls are mailed out based on last know registration address thru state DMVs. If your car is affected by the recall and it's registered in your name then you will get a notice.
Not the case in Texas in my experience. My ex-wife and I both would get recall notices for vehicles neither of us had owned in 5+ years.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:06 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Art161
On December 19, 2014, NHTSA announced recall campaign number 14V802000. This recall includes Mustang model years 2005-2008 that were manufactured August 1, 2004 to June 30, 2007, regardless of the state in which the vehicle was sold or registered.

In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver side frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.

Ford has not yet provided a notification schedule. Ford's number for this recall is 14B09.

Happy holidays, and be careful out there.
Thank you for posting, Art161! Owner Letters are expected to be mailed next month. Dealers will repair any affected vehicles whether or not the customer has received a letter. Owners can also check here for any recalls.

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
+1 PNYXPRESS!

Not the case in Texas in my experience. My ex-wife and I both would get recall notices for vehicles neither of us had owned in 5+ years.
It looks like you guys were the last owner/address the vehicles were registered to, cruisin5268d.

Deysha
Old 12-24-2014, 06:23 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I don't see how that could be. If we sold a vehicle (only a few years old) to a dealer as a trade for a new vehicle - how could it not be registered by someone else? The dealer sold these vehicles to someone and they would have registered it unless they were taken to Mexico.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I don't see how that could be. If we sold a vehicle (only a few years old) to a dealer as a trade for a new vehicle - how could it not be registered by someone else? The dealer sold these vehicles to someone and they would have registered it unless they were taken to Mexico.
Or it was taken to auction and sold to be chopped up as a parts car.

There are lots of reasons why a vehicle doesn't get re-registered after being sold/traded.

Quick Reply: Recall 2005-2008 Mustangs--driver air bag