Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ugh.. new MT82 making noises in 2nd, 4th, 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Default ugh.. new MT82 making noises in 2nd, 4th, 6th gear

I have a new MT82 in my car now, its got about 350 miles on it the car is approaching 15K miles.

I've been noticing a problem since I got it back from the dealer that performed the work, 2nd and 4th gears exhibit this issue, as well as 6th but not as loud as the other two. I did not have this issue on the first transmission.

The noise is the same as when you are in gear and accelerating and your hand is resting on the shifter... its like chalk on a chalkboard or a hissing noise. I experience this noise when pushing down the accelerator in these three gears, and my hand is NOT resting on the shifter.

It doesn't sound like normal operational noise, and I was hoping as the transmission was broken in, the noise would go away. The car hasn't seen any driving over 5K rpm at all since I've gotten it back...
  • Does anyone else have this issue/sound?
  • How ****ed am I if I have to go to the dealer again after my ordeal with them last time?

I will be switching the transmission fluid at 500 miles to see if that helps, my research indicates it might so we'll see.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I dont think you are supposed to rest your hand on shifter while its in gear..

Last edited by Andy13186; 09-09-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I dont think you are supposed to rest your hand on shifter while its in gear.. but try powershifting a bit, mine whines but i kind of like the whine, no chalkboard noise or w.e just a high pitch whine.

powershifting may break it, fix it, or just make it worse, if it gets worse or broken, take to dealer for replacement.
I'm saying its a similar noise as if your hand was resting, but without it resting.

I was accused of abusing my transmission by powershifting it when it busted at 14k miles so its unlikely I'll be trying any shenanigans like this.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
How ****ed am I if I have to go to the dealer again after my ordeal with them last time?
Go to the same dealer that installed the transmission and ask one of the techs to ride shotgun while you test drive the car. If the noise is noticeable, the tech would have to be selectively deaf not to hear it.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:29 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

with the remote shifter on this trans, it's possible something might be out of alignment. especially if the noise is only on even-number gears.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:26 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Go to the same dealer that installed the transmission and ask one of the techs to ride shotgun while you test drive the car. If the noise is noticeable, the tech would have to be selectively deaf not to hear it.
I'll see if I can get an appointment.

I've been wanting to throw in an MT82 MGW Race-spec shifter which converts it to "direct-linkage" so if its an issue with the shifter I'm more than likely to swap it out as planned.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

I have a new MT82 in my car now, its got about 350 miles on it the car is approaching 15K miles.

I've been noticing a problem since I got it back from the dealer that performed the work, 2nd and 4th gears exhibit this issue, as well as 6th but not as loud as the other two. I did not have this issue on the first transmission.

The noise is the same as when you are in gear and accelerating and your hand is resting on the shifter... its like chalk on a chalkboard or a hissing noise. I experience this noise when pushing down the accelerator in these three gears, and my hand is NOT resting on the shifter.

It doesn't sound like normal operational noise, and I was hoping as the transmission was broken in, the noise would go away. The car hasn't seen any driving over 5K rpm at all since I've gotten it back...
  • Does anyone else have this issue/sound?
  • How ****ed am I if I have to go to the dealer again after my ordeal with them last time?

I will be switching the transmission fluid at 500 miles to see if that helps, my research indicates it might so we'll see.
I'll see if I can get an appointment.
I've been wanting to throw in an MT82 MGW Race-spec shifter which converts it to "direct-linkage" so if its an issue with the shifter I'm more than likely to swap it out as planned.
Definitely bring it in to your dealer, iamzatch. Let me know what they say. Also, PM me with your dealer, and best daytime number and I’ll escalate this again for you.

Deysha
Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM
nthknd

I seem to be having these same gearbox noise issues, my ford dealer has said its normal, but I didn't buy it like this and I just test drove a 16 and it didn't have this noise. Its a high pitch whining coming from the gear shift, just started about 5 months ago fords say either they don't hear anything or its normal. 2015 v6