Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear driver side wheel sticking out.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Default rear driver side wheel sticking out.

so i notice when i accelerate that one of my rear tire seems to pick up more grip. i'm not the best driver or anything but i can tell that one of them seems to either spin more or grab more grip. so i went to check them and i notice that the driver side is sticking out more than the passenger side here are the pics. also could this be the cause on my it feels like one side spins more?

here is the driver side
Name:  20150201_195237_zpsijhd9cnw.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  61.0 KB
here is the passenger side
Name:  20150201_195157_zpsav3w5wv1.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  44.0 KB

Last edited by BlackShelbyGt500; 02-01-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I'f you've lowered it, you need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the rear end under the car.

I recommend the BMR adjustable panhard bar with poly bushings at each end from AmericanMuscle.com. That will fix you right up!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:54 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Its called Torque. The motor spins in one direction, as does the transmission (when moving forward), the driveshaft, and the other connected components. The torque is only applied by the motor in one direction. It is the same principle that causes a drag car to lift up and twist off the starting line. The same thing happens in your car to a lesser degree when you step on the gas. The car wants to twist one wheel into the ground and lift up on the other side. Having the solid rear axle in the Mustang embellishes this a little extra too. This has nothing to do with the axle not being centered as your post implies.

Most Mustangs from the factory do not have the axle perfectly centered. If it bothers you, an adjustable panhard bar will allow you to adjust it back to center. I think up to 3/8" off-center is considered perfectly "normal" for these cars.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM
azdriveshaft
Former Sponsor

If it feels like one tire is spinning more than the other it can also be due to your Posi being worn inside the differential which will cause the power to be sent to one wheel instead of both.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:20 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I'f you've lowered it, you need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the rear end under the car.

I recommend the BMR adjustable panhard bar with poly bushings at each end from AmericanMuscle.com. That will fix you right up!
thank bro. would the steeda be better than the BMR? i'm trying to stick to one brand as i already have a steeda cai and pulley.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Its called Torque. The motor spins in one direction, as does the transmission (when moving forward), the driveshaft, and the other connected components. The torque is only applied by the motor in one direction. It is the same principle that causes a drag car to lift up and twist off the starting line. The same thing happens in your car to a lesser degree when you step on the gas. The car wants to twist one wheel into the ground and lift up on the other side. Having the solid rear axle in the Mustang embellishes this a little extra too. This has nothing to do with the axle not being centered as your post implies.

Most Mustangs from the factory do not have the axle perfectly centered. If it bothers you, an adjustable panhard bar will allow you to adjust it back to center. I think up to 3/8" off-center is considered perfectly "normal" for these cars.
thanks bro, so basically what you're saying is that this is normal?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:22 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by azdriveshaft
If it feels like one tire is spinning more than the other it can also be due to your Posi being worn inside the differential which will cause the power to be sent to one wheel instead of both.
is there anyway to actually confirm this? how should i go about checking the posi?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Do a burn out and see if you leave two tire marks. If you do then your posi is working correctly. Steeda is fine you just need to get an adjustable one.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Get an on-car adjustable panhard bar if you are lowered. (edit, i just noticed this has a link to amazon PHBs when not signed in, I didnt intend that)

If not lowered, make sure you are on a totally flat surface and, I think there will be some side to side variation depending on how full gas tank is, etc

Last edited by Andy13186; 02-04-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

the Feeling of one tire gripping more is absolutely the torque of the car. these vehicles have crazy amounts of power and will have the car lurching just by reving the motor. the wheel sticking out is caused by the vehicle being lowered. 100% on that.

when you lower the vehicle the whole rear axle assembly is shifted to one side of the car (driver side?) and you need something that re centers it.

looky here!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear driver side wheel sticking out.