Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking pinion seal, also out vent tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:56 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Leaking pinion seal, also out vent tube

Hey guys,

I cant seem to catch a break. I brought my car to a local shop to investigate an nvh/vibration/noise in 2nd and 4th gears and while we were inspecting my new transmission install (see other threads) we found the differential has been leaking fluid out the pinion seal and the axle vent.

This car has 15k miles. >_>

What is the tsb for the axle vent? I cant seem to find it. What significant does the pinion seal have and is it a safety issue?

Im basically scared to bring my car to the dealer due to my previous experiences but I dont want to drop $200 for a new seal and install on a warrantable issue at 15k miles
Old 02-03-2015, 03:09 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Mine looked like it was leaking out of both too. I installed an axle expansion reservoir, cleaned everything down with brake cleaner and it's remained dry since (~6 months+). Either the fluid from the axle vent was working its way to the area of the pinon seal or the vent cap wasn't venting correctly, allowing too much pressure to build, and pushing fluid past the seal. It's all good now though.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 PM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Have the same issue with leaking out of the vent on top of the rear axle. The TSB is 14-0046 (March 6th 2014) my dealer ordered the part and waiting for it to come in. I have 13000miles on my 14 GT, hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:43 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
Mine looked like it was leaking out of both too. I installed an axle expansion reservoir, cleaned everything down with brake cleaner and it's remained dry since (~6 months+). Either the fluid from the axle vent was working its way to the area of the pinon seal or the vent cap wasn't venting correctly, allowing too much pressure to build, and pushing fluid past the seal. It's all good now though.
Good to know break cleaner can clean that up good, I'll want to clean mine to make sure no more leakage is happening. I left a message with a dealer yesterday morning and they have yet to return my call so we'll see when that happens.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by iamzatch
Hey guys,

I cant seem to catch a break. I brought my car to a local shop to investigate an nvh/vibration/noise in 2nd and 4th gears and while we were inspecting my new transmission install (see other threads) we found the differential has been leaking fluid out the pinion seal and the axle vent.

This car has 15k miles. >_>
What is the tsb for the axle vent? I cant seem to find it. What significant does the pinion seal have and is it a safety issue?

Im basically scared to bring my car to the dealer due to my previous experiences but I dont want to drop $200 for a new seal and install on a warrantable issue at 15k miles
I’m happy to get this escalated for you as well, iamzatch. Let me know if you’d like me to.

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
Have the same issue with leaking out of the vent on top of the rear axle. The TSB is 14-0046 (March 6th 2014) my dealer ordered the part and waiting for it to come in. I have 13000 miles on my 14 GT, hope this helps.
Glad to learn this was taken care of for you, dslpow3r.

Deysha
Old 02-06-2015, 02:23 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

I had mine service twice a year ago, dealerships repairs can never get it right the first time. I even cancelled my esp last week after fed up with every dealer repair work.

Last edited by winkawak; 02-06-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

I just wanted to let you all know I did get the pinion seal replaced this past Friday the 13th. The leaking axle vent was deemed as "operating normally" as in its supposed to leak from time to time apparently. While I understand the point of an axle vent it seemed like it was "venting" more than a normal amount of diff fluid however I digress.

Still need to get up under the car and clean off the differential though.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by iamzatch
I just wanted to let you all know I did get the pinion seal replaced this past Friday the 13th. The leaking axle vent was deemed as "operating normally" as in its supposed to leak from time to time apparently. While I understand the point of an axle vent it seemed like it was "venting" more than a normal amount of diff fluid however I digress.

Still need to get up under the car and clean off the differential though.
Thank you for the update, iamzatch!

Deysha