Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:32 PM
kylelow533

Default NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!

ok here is the situation: call me an idiot but now I need advice what to do. PAID 11K

I bought a 2005 Mustang GT(salvage) with 60k miles. She has a ford racing air intake, poweraid spacer, custom tune, pypes cat back exhaust and foose nitrous rims. I was shown the damage originally to the car and everything looks fine. Although I just had to repair my cooling fan and now my brake creeks(not squeaks) when i press the pedal??? also the steering wheel shakes when I brake sometimes( air in the system? rotors?) Im starting to think she is cursed! Ive always wanted a mustang but should i just take a big hit and sell her? or keep her till she dies and make repairs along the way. ALSO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FOR SMALL EMISSIONS LEAK JUST CAME ON?

How long do these guys last on AVERAGE? miles?

can i flash the computer back to a stock tune with no problems. cause i dont like that when the engine is cold it revs up to 2500 rpm.

any and all advice will be appreciated. besides stating the obvious that i should never have bought it.
Attached Thumbnails NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!-20141112_095713-2-.jpg   NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!-20141113_225639.jpg   NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!-20141113_225704-1-.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

the shaking and creeking could just be from bent rotors, or rotors with hot spots. You can replace all four rotors and pads for about 250 (ebay price)....not sure local prices. I know you can't just return to the stock tune with a CAI AND exhaust. The extra air flow throws the computer out of whack. I've tried and my car went into limp mode and had no power. As far as reving up....mine does the same, every time with a tune. I want to say it did that before the tune, but idk, as I got my exhaust set up after the tune and never noticed till I heard it. My car has 116k miles and I've had no problems except a slave cylinder going out and needing my clutch replaced. 11k is kind of a lot for a salvaged title tho. Was the damage bad, did they say what happened?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:54 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I second the changing of the rotors. If it has been driven hard, the rotors could be toast!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:20 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuscleStangGT05
the shaking and creeking could just be from bent rotors, or rotors with hot spots. You can replace all four rotors and pads for about 250 (ebay price)....not sure local prices. I know you can't just return to the stock tune with a CAI AND exhaust. The extra air flow throws the computer out of whack. I've tried and my car went into limp mode and had no power. As far as reving up....mine does the same, every time with a tune. I want to say it did that before the tune, but idk, as I got my exhaust set up after the tune and never noticed till I heard it. My car has 116k miles and I've had no problems except a slave cylinder going out and needing my clutch replaced. 11k is kind of a lot for a salvaged title tho. Was the damage bad, did they say what happened?
He doesn't have a CAI and the exhaust won't affect the tune.

I echo the rotors sentiment. Get the alignment checked and the wheels balanced while you're thinking about it.

For the revving, if you have the tuner and the company you can have them turn that down via the tuner. If you don't have a tuner, get one, you're going to need it with that intake manifold. I have the same one and it takes some tweaking of the tune to get it to run properly.

For the CEL, make sure the exhaust is bolted down properly, from the manifolds all the way back. Mine threw a CEL like that before and it turned out to be an exhaust leak where the manifold connects to the midpipe.

Edit: Throw out that Poweraid spacer. It is nothing more than a paperweight and is doing exactly NOTHING, and never will, for your car.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

+1 on tossing that spacer.

While checking the rotors for any extra wear, you should also check for any retaining clips that might have been left one when the new wheels wear put on. Those clips are known to cause some vibration if not removed. Good luck with that car, shes pretty sharp.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by kylelow533
ok here is the situation: call me an idiot but now I need advice what to do. PAID 11K

I bought a 2005 Mustang GT(salvage) with 60k miles. She has a ford racing air intake, poweraid spacer, custom tune, pypes cat back exhaust and foose nitrous rims. I was shown the damage originally to the car and everything looks fine. Although I just had to repair my cooling fan and now my brake creeks(not squeaks) when i press the pedal??? also the steering wheel shakes when I brake sometimes( air in the system? rotors?) Im starting to think she is cursed! Ive always wanted a mustang but should i just take a big hit and sell her? or keep her till she dies and make repairs along the way. ALSO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FOR SMALL EMISSIONS LEAK JUST CAME ON?

How long do these guys last on AVERAGE? miles?

can i flash the computer back to a stock tune with no problems. cause i dont like that when the engine is cold it revs up to 2500 rpm.

any and all advice will be appreciated. besides stating the obvious that i should never have bought it.
I just dealt with brake Creaking on the front...not squeaks. It is most likely the caliper clips that the brake pads sit in (slide on). Buy a Front Brake Caliper Hardware kit from any auto parts store ~$10 and replace them. When putting them in, there is a correct way to put them in and make sure they are properly greased. My problem was a broken clip and improper lubrication. Replaced the hardware and done...no more creaking.

The shaking when braking is rotors.

A Ford Racing CAI does require a tune so if you remove the tune (go back to stock) you will need to put a stock intake on.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

remove the TB spacer for sure. find a used oem intake plenum/manifold (you don't have FRPP CAI, you have a FRPP intake plenum, big difference) unless your planning on going FI anytime soon, its not doing you any good. you can probably get 450$ all day long for it and wont need a new tune if you remove it. find the tuner that came with the car or as mentioned earlier, contact said tuner. salvage or not, still a good looking car. go to your local parts place and they can pull codes for CEL. come back here and ask or google results. don't go throwing parts at it just yet. good luck
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM
morexfiles

your shaking when you hit the brakes is most likley the rotors are warped which it happens a lot with theses mustangs or most cars period.
I always change my brakes when I buy a used car
Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 PM
morexfiles

also you have air in the brake lines.
please check your master cylinder and make sure it is at the proper level.
if it is bleed the brakes and make sure the bleed screw is tight when your done
Old 02-08-2015, 08:36 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Ok - so you know, you do NOT have a ford racing CAI. You have a Ford Racing Intake Manifold (http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...-manifold.html) That might mean that the car also has other work like cams done on it. Looking at the second picture and the rake of the car, this looks like it's had suspension work done because it's clearly been lowered. It is very plain to me that this is not a stock GT. There's been other cosmetic work done on the car too. With all of that, you actually might have gotten a damned good deal.

The shaking during braking is very likely warped rotors. Just cut to the chase and replace them. While the calipers are off, follow Derf's advice and install the hardware kit which will almost certainly fix the creaking. You should also lube any bushings you see. Everything that CMcNam said is also on the money. I would not sell this car. Chase the little gremlins for a while and fix them. Once you're done, you will have a car that you are happy about and will treat you very well for many years and miles to come.

One other thing to potentially try is to hit up the major vendors like American Muscle, etc... who sponsor this site. Ask them if your VIN is in their database for a tuner and if they can tell you what parts were sold to the previous owner. You might be able to get that info as a baseline to know where to start in fixing some of the issues you are having. Best of luck.

Last edited by wcgman; 02-08-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!