Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is alignment required when instlling panhard bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by spectreman
I had Steeda sport springs installed- a 1" drop all around- and all that was needed was an alignment.
That's a modest drop. I was thinking in terms of 1-1/2" or more.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
You can't do a wheel alignment on a solid rear axle
Actually, you can even adjust rear camber and toe, just not by any of the common alignment methods. I wouldn't trust any shop that didn't have solid axle racing experience to get it right.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by spectreman
Not necessarily. Some cars may need it, others not. I had this confirmed w/several of the vendors & on my own 14 GT.

I had Steeda sport springs installed- a 1" drop all around- and all that was needed was an alignment. Camber bolts were installed afterwards but only because one of the offsets was off by the slightest of margins; so, to bring it back to Ford spec they were added, but no panhard bar swap was necessary. My axle is as centered now as it was from the factory.
Good to know, I'll be installing some Steeda Sports pretty soon and was wondering if I was going to need an adjustable panhard bar.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:42 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
You can't do a wheel alignment on a solid rear axle but if you add lowering springs at the rear, you'd need an adjustable panhard bar to get the axle properly centered.
I'm aware of that. The question was whether or not the OP needs an alignment when adding an adjustable panhard bar, and the answer is no.

OP, when you lower the car you need to get a front alignment done. Furthermore, by lowering the car you may push the rear axle towards the driver's side. You can fix this with the adjustable panhard bar you already have. For all intents and purposes, you will not need a rear alignment because you "can't" do an alignment on the rear wheels because it is a solid rear axle (Norm has already stated there is an exception, but in your case I wouldn't even let it cross your mind).

Don't stress too much about it, it won't have any serious consequences on your car and you probably won't even notice unless you're tracking/driving hard.

Just a friendly suggestion, before you go any further with modifications you should do some research on the basic mechanics of how your suspension works. You may end up buying parts you realize later you didn't really need because you didn't do your homework. By familiarizing yourself with the suspension before modding, you can save yourself a lot of time and money.

I can guarantee with 99.99% certainty that every question you have or will have has already been answered either on this forum or others. That's why I suggest getting nice and familiar with what you have before you buy anything else.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

and if anyone is curious i even tried to take mine to an alignment shop and tried to explain to them what an adjustable panhard bar did and why i had one in the first place and they just looked at me like i was stupid. they were like, "yeah, i see one tire sticks out... a little..." they simply didn't care and it isn't hurting anything.

so i finally just did it at home myself.

it was already on the car and was really easy to adjust. wife had to push (put pressure) on the car while i adjusted the bar.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

↑↑↑ yeah, it's amazing how strong that kind of treatment serves as incentive to DIY.

Norm
Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

As far as I know, the panhard bar is the only alignment part in the rear, and all you can do is center the rear with the PHB. Hopefully its on-car adjustable.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:20 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys these are all very helpful. i did my homework and found out that i need the PHB so that that i can fix one of my tire sticking out. i also found out that i need an synthetic grease for the bushing so i bought some mobile 1 synthetic grease. i had the car lowered a couple of years ago with the adjustable eibach coilovers and had all of it align. if i remember correctly they only align the front.

my finally question is can i lift the car on the side frame and put the jack stand on the axle? is this the proper way on how to install the PHB and adjust it? i've seem people use the string method and i might actually try that one first. i just wanted to know if put the axle on the jack stand is the safe and best way to do it.

p.s most DYI i've seem uses a lift or some sort.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
As far as I know, the panhard bar is the only alignment part in the rear, and all you can do is center the rear with the PHB. Hopefully its on-car adjustable.
Neither the OE PHB nor the OE LCAs are adjustable. Only aftermarket PHBs and LCAs are, and not all of them.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500

my finally question is can i lift the car on the side frame and put the jack stand on the axle? is this the proper way on how to install the PHB and adjust it? i've seem people use the string method and i might actually try that one first. i just wanted to know if put the axle on the jack stand is the safe and best way to do it.

p.s most DYI i've seem uses a lift or some sort.
According to This , you put the jacks under the rear.

Quick Reply: is alignment required when instlling panhard bar?