Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 2013 GT. Too soon to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 PM
steve694

Default My new 2013 GT. Too soon to tune?

I got a 2013 5.0 6MT last month. Well, 5 weeks later and I ordered the JLT intake and the Bama X4. I don't regret it at all, but I'm at a fork in the road.

I drive spiritedly. Sometimes shifting low, sometimes high. Do I tune it this weekend or should I drive it for a while longer stock so I can really appreciate the tune difference?

I've heard great things about BAMA and I just don't wanna tune it and be like "meh..."

Help me decide. I plan on downloading the 93 race tune as a daily driver. Also, any input on deleting the sound tube or not would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Tune now. Eff a buncha warranty. Hp rules!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:17 PM
DeepImpactPony

The sound tube is one of the dumbest things I've seen a manufacturer put on a car! The JLT Intake, I would assume you purchased for the looks, because quite honestly, it probably hurt your performance. The factory CAI, on the coyote is one of the best factory equipped CAI systems Ford has ever used. I installed my tune 5 weeks after picking up the car, so I say go for it.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
The sound tube is one of the dumbest things I've seen a manufacturer put on a car! The JLT Intake, I would assume you purchased for the looks, because quite honestly, it probably hurt your performance. The factory CAI, on the coyote is one of the best factory equipped CAI systems Ford has ever used. I installed my tune 5 weeks after picking up the car, so I say go for it.
This!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

its really up to you.i drove my car stock for a couple of years while i save up for a cai and a tune. and when i finally had it installed it was like driving a different car.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 AM
steve694

Well, the last thing I expected to hear was someone ******* the intake I bought.

For years there has been discussions on CAI's and the pros and cons. Honestly, I bought the Bama tune/JLT intake because it was the cheapest combo on americanmuscle.com

Turns out from what I've read, it's probably the best one to buy with the most positive reviews on their website and other sites. From what I've seen dynoed, the intake was usually good for 10-12 hp by itself. And some troll on here with 31 posts after being a member for almost 3 years saying the factory intake is superior gave me a good laugh.

I will keep you all updated as I plan on tuning today or tomorrow (weather permitting).

Can anyone else explain the benefits or lack thereof for keeping the sound tube?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:56 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

The intake does not give you 10-12 hp. The tune is giving you the extra power. What little gains you might get from an aftermarket CAI is at the very top end. So, 99% of your driving will never see the miniscule increase you might get. The factory intake is superior. It truly pulls in air from outside the engine compartment whereas most aftermarket units are open faced and pull in hot/warm air. Many like the sound that comes from having an open top intake. Look at the Boss 302. It has the same airbox as your car. If it was restrictive don't you think Ford would have used a different intake for it?

If you want the sound tube, keep it. If you don't, then don't. It's that simple.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:05 PM
DeepImpactPony

Originally Posted by steve694
Well, the last thing I expected to hear was someone ******* the intake I bought.

For years there has been discussions on CAI's and the pros and cons. Honestly, I bought the Bama tune/JLT intake because it was the cheapest combo on americanmuscle.com

Turns out from what I've read, it's probably the best one to buy with the most positive reviews on their website and other sites. From what I've seen dynoed, the intake was usually good for 10-12 hp by itself. And some troll on here with 31 posts after being a member for almost 3 years saying the factory intake is superior gave me a good laugh.

I will keep you all updated as I plan on tuning today or tomorrow (weather permitting).

Can anyone else explain the benefits or lack thereof for keeping the sound tube?
Just because I'm not so active in THIS forum, does not make me a troll. You asked and I offered, my activity is mostly on s197 forum and NJstangers forum, along with mustangevolution, part of the reason for the lackl of activity on THIS forum, because it's just a general mustang forum not exclusive to the s197 platform. I run the stock air box with a tune, and have run a best of 12.18 on stock factory tires, and have dynoe'd 408 RWHP. The power increase you will feel stems from the tune itself, NOT the aftermarket CAI. Go to s197 forum, and do a search, you will find that 95% agree. There have even been a few of the fastest NA cars that have proven it. The sound tube, is and does exactly what it's called, bring sound into the cabin. if that's what floats your boat than keep it, otherwise IMHO all it does is cramp up the engine compartment, and looks cheap.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM
DeepImpactPony

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
The intake does not give you 10-12 hp. The tune is giving you the extra power. What little gains you might get from an aftermarket CAI is at the very top end. So, 99% of your driving will never see the miniscule increase you might get. The factory intake is superior. It truly pulls in air from outside the engine compartment whereas most aftermarket units are open faced and pull in hot/warm air. Many like the sound that comes from having an open top intake. Look at the Boss 302. It has the same airbox as your car. If it was restrictive don't you think Ford would have used a different intake for it?

If you want the sound tube, keep it. If you don't, then don't. It's that simple.
Thank you sir.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 PM
steve694

Well, I got the tune and intake done earlier. Money well spent!

Last edited by steve694; 02-28-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: My new 2013 GT. Too soon to tune?