Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i change the stock mufflers 2012 gt

Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 PM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

Default should i change the stock mufflers 2012 gt

I just got a 2012 gt stang. In your opinion should I put on axle back exhaust. Im thinking ford racing or roush. Anyone changed theirs?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Roush sounds good. These Magnaflow mufflers sound good too!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

TONS of threads on this and sound clips on youtube.

Just please don't buy some cheap crap.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:19 AM
jordangelowitz

I drive a 2009 GT, and I originally bought the pypes pype bomb axle back and they sound mean. However last week I put on long tube headers with an off road x pipe and I regret not doing it earlier. The nice thing about axle back exhaust, for the 05-09's anyway, is that you can always do long tubes or swap out your mid pipe later on if you want to make it louder and squeeze out more power. The only thing I would suggest is that if you ever plan on getting a different mid pipe, get the headers too, cause if you get the mid pipe now and decide you want headers later you will have to buy another mid pipe to fit the long tubes. IMO after installing headers on my 4.6 I would suggest it to anyone who wants to add noticable horsepower and turn all the heads within several blocks.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

If your not looking for something too aggressive that still sounds good, check out the Ford Racing Performance Parts GT500 axle back exhaust. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-g...ck-2011gt.html

I was just about to go on about how good they sound and what a great value they are, but they have gone up in price!!!

I bought mine for $280.79 after using a forum discount code that got the price down from $319.99. After installation and having my resonators removed, I was out the door for $381 total! I consider that a great value for how the exhaust sounds and how the larger exhaust tips fill the bumper cut-outs.

Now I see the FRPP GT500 axle back exhaust is selling for $499.99!!!! That's a huge jump in price!!!!

For that money, I'd do the research and get something less expensive!!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:01 AM
olddude69

I went with Rousch axle back, love the sound except for occassional popping sound when changing gears.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Yes, you should change the axle back exhaust! Keep in mind that there is a big difference between Roush and Ford Racing mufflers. Roush is way louder. Its a great sound, but you should be aware that it will draw more attention.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer

Now I see the FRPP GT500 axle back exhaust is selling for $499.99!!!! That's a huge jump in price!!!!

For that money, I'd do the research and get something less expensive!!!!
Outside of buying used, I'm not sure you can find a better pair of axle backs for less $$. W/Ford, you're guaranteed OEM quality, a bit more noise w/out being obnoxious to anyone around you, and most importantly (to me, at least), no drone.

I bought my GT500 exhausts last year and got a good deal, like yours. I'm pleased w/them overall, except for the appearance of exhaust tips. All in all tho, great bang for the bike. Nice sound & did I mention ZERO drone?

To the OP, exhaust sound is as individual as your tastes and requirements. Don't just take anyone's opinion. If you're looking for LOUD, there's lots of options. If you're looking for a bit more subtle & refined but louder than stock, still more options. Hit up youtube, look over people's opinions here. Yes, lots of folks like GT500 axle backs- doesn't mean you will. Find what suits your desires; it's your $$$.
Good luck.
Lee
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Keep stock exhaust and get electric cutouts. So you can be both quiet or loud. I had roush, then went to stock, now im thinking of keeping stock and getting cutouts.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 12bigredstang
I just got a 2012 gt stang. In your opinion should I put on axle back exhaust.
That depends. If you want to do it purely for a HP gain, forget it. If it's to change the sound, listen to a few videos on Youtube and see which one you like best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should i change the stock mufflers 2012 gt