Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PA Performance Alternator leads to problems..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

There's a lot of guys (me included) on this Forum running PA alternators with no problems.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
My car only has 45000 miles on it I'm nervous about replacing the plugs I've read bad things. My friend who works as a technician for Ford sent me instructions to test the connector for power and ground first before replacing the coil. I'm going to use an OEM coil.
I guess I'll try testing it this weekend, and if it has power then I'll replace the coil. I'll then start it and test the alternator while the car is running.
Before you even buy a new coil, just swap the #1 coil with any other one in the engine. If the problem follows, it's the coil. If it doesn't, it's the PCM. Very simple test and doesn't cost you anything but a few minutes.

You DID DISCONNECT the negative battery terminal BEFORE you swapped out the alternator...yes? If not you could have damaged the PCM or another component in the process (thus the shocks now).

If it's a coil buy the Ford Motorcraft coil, don't buy a cheap knock-off. They cause more headaches than they fix.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:07 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

The battery was disconnected before alt was swapped out.
Update : I bought champion 7989 plugs. And a new ford coil. The car runs great with the original alternator and a new coil on the first cylinder. (Didn't have to replace plugs at all)

Alex from American muscle posted a reply to me stating that they would either replace the alternator for me or set up a refund, whichever worked better for me. I contacted customer service at American muscle and the only thing they said was I would have to deal with PA performance directly.

So I sent a private message to Alex who replied to this thread stating this information at least a week ago and I have yet to hear back from him.

I have spent a lot of money with American muscle and I'm not happy with them right now !
Old 05-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
Hey Op - Sorry to hear about the trouble that you're running into here and Wog beat me to it on this - Before going on a wild goose chase looking for x, y, and z I would start with your coil and then head back to the drawing board. If for any reason you're thinking after this that the Alternator is the source of the issue try to have the car limped to a shop locally for them to get a look at it! In the event that it's the Alternator we'll get you a replacement shipped out and delivered overnight to get you back on the road!

Keep us in the loop on what's going on!

Alex
I wish I had talked to you. I bought a PA alternator from you guys last year. Had the shop doing my build install it for me and they informed me that it was over charging. Called you guys and was informed that I would have to contact PA alternators. I did and they gave me the run around big time. They informed men that I would have to send it to them and they would check it out. I had been deployed to Korea for a year and was not about to wait 2-3 weeks to drive my car because of a faulty alternator. Ended up buying a plain Jane alternator off eBay and it worked flawlessly. Still got the alternator and the garage. Thinking about getting it fixed because its chrome. We'll see.....

Last edited by Soldier GT; 05-10-2015 at 06:39 PM.