Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PA Performance Alternator leads to problems..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:18 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Default HELP PA Performance Alternator leads to problems..

Hey guys. I purchased and installed the 200amp PA Performance alternator and upgraded wiring kit purchased from americanmuscle.com

I also installed a new Ford belt while I was in there. Car started and ran just fine. No codes or check lights came on. So I thought that was the end of it. I left the engine running, got out and went to shut the door, and got a big shock. (Interior is leather and Ive had the car since it was born and have never had this problem) So I got back in, shut it off and got out, again, got a big shock when I touched the door to close it. I removed the battery from the car, got back inside, got out, big shock when I touched the door. Happened again and again. So I let it sit overnight with no battery

Went out today, got in, got out, no shock. Okay so I put the battery back in, Hooked everything up. started it, runs great. No more getting shocked when I get out...okay weird.

SO now I go to drive it and make sure everything is good. I reloaded my custom 93 tune from Brenspeed just in case the computer lost it.
It now has a mild shake at idle. Which wasnt there before.

I drove it a couple miles and the exhaust tone sounds slightly different. (more bubbly/trumpeting if that makes sense) And it doesnt seem to have the power it had before when I put the pedal down... I am again, completely clueless as to what is going on.

I have one of those digital battery terminals that shows the actual voltage of the battery and when I turned the car off just a few minutes ago the voltage reads 13.4

Anyone have any ideas ??? Thank you so much
Old 04-26-2015, 03:12 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

update started the car again and it is now not running right at all. It is bogging down at idle (standard car)

Also has a P0351 ignition coil code ....
Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

that code is for #1 cylinder ignition coil, it occours when the pcm doesnt receive a secondary pulse of voltage on the 12v side of the coil that would indicate that it fired. check the #1 coil connector to make sure its seated. chances are you are also experiencing a missfire on #1 as well, this shouldnt have anything to do with the new alternator
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Hey Op - Sorry to hear about the trouble that you're running into here and Wog beat me to it on this - Before going on a wild goose chase looking for x, y, and z I would start with your coil and then head back to the drawing board. If for any reason you're thinking after this that the Alternator is the source of the issue try to have the car limped to a shop locally for them to get a look at it! In the event that it's the Alternator we'll get you a replacement shipped out and delivered overnight to get you back on the road!

Keep us in the loop on what's going on!

Alex
Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

You cannot get a shock from the battery or the alternator.
most car modules are tested uo to 10kv, it's unlikely that you getting shocked damaged anything.
I'd guess the shock came from something you were wearing, nylon, plastic, etc and if you chase down the code like jwog suggested, you'll find the solution.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:59 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. It just seems strange to me the car ran fine just before the alternator was put in. I'm going to get a new set of coils and start there. The current coil seems to be good so I'll start with new coils and plugs.

Any suggestions on the best coils and plugs for these cars ? Thank you
Old 04-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have been running Champion plugs in my '06 GT for almost 100K miles (on second set now). Car has never run better, and they are ONE PIECE PLUGS.

I also have leather seats and I also occasionally get a shock. I too have a PA Performance alternator & power wire upgrade, but I got the shocks before I put the PA in too.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:07 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I have been running Champion plugs in my '06 GT for almost 100K miles (on second set now). Car has never run better, and they are ONE PIECE PLUGS.

I also have leather seats and I also occasionally get a shock. I too have a PA Performance alternator & power wire upgrade, but I got the shocks before I put the PA in too.
My car only has 45000 miles on it I'm nervous about replacing the plugs I've read bad things. My friend who works as a technician for Ford sent me instructions to test the connector for power and ground first before replacing the coil. I'm going to use an OEM coil.
I guess I'll try testing it this weekend, and if it has power then I'll replace the coil. I'll then start it and test the alternator while the car is running.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
Thanks for the replies. It just seems strange to me the car ran fine just before the alternator was put in. I'm going to get a new set of coils and start there. The current coil seems to be good so I'll start with new coils and plugs.

Any suggestions on the best coils and plugs for these cars ? Thank you
Originally Posted by 06stangGT
My car only has 45000 miles on it I'm nervous about replacing the plugs I've read bad things. My friend who works as a technician for Ford sent me instructions to test the connector for power and ground first before replacing the coil. I'm going to use an OEM coil.
I guess I'll try testing it this weekend, and if it has power then I'll replace the coil. I'll then start it and test the alternator while the car is running.
06 - I know how you mean on the irregularity of this! Rest assured if you nail it down that the Alternator is the source of the trouble let my customer service team know and we can either have a replacement shipped out overnight for you or if you wanted to get a refund set up we can do that to - Whichever is better for you is better for us!

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase again but if you're looking for a good set of plugs I've run the MSD Blaster Coil Set on my '08 and for something that you'll see and hear guys all around say they're worthless I honestly noticed a little bit of an improvement with throttle response but the fuel improvement was marginal - Now if you're ever hearing guys say that they'll add horsepower...they wont! Just being forward here!

If you're unsure on having anything tested I would suggest dropping by your local dealer to let them have a look or even just speak with a tech - They can't charge you to just talk!

Keep me in the loop here if you're to need anything at all.

Alex
Old 04-30-2015, 02:53 PM
BigBlueBomb

I've heard rumors that these after market alternators can produce an electrical field that can disrupt your computer. Before going crazy replacing the plugs, coils etc. I'd try putting your previous alternator in and reloading your tune.

Quick Reply: HELP PA Performance Alternator leads to problems..