Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone experiencing a pinion leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone experiencing a pinion leak?

My 2014 5.0 is leaking at the pinion seal. its under waranty but the car is lowered. its not a standard u joint in the back, its a constant velocity, i had the pinion angle checked and it is within spec. The cars only got 15,000 miles on her. i worry about ford using the aftermarket parts as an excuse not to cover it.
ive got the TORSEN 3:73 diff so im doing everything i can to protect it!

also my transmission is noisy, it has always been but 4th gear is very noisy..then when i go into 5th its silent again.. also sounds like my throwout bearing is chattering at idle..

im pretty upset about this..Has anyone else experienced any of this?
thanks for the help
Chris
Old 05-02-2015, 06:03 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

my 13' gt had a pinion leak twice for stealership to get it right. I say its normal like leaking axle tube vent. You might encounter warranty problem with that aftermarket u joint, but try anyways.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:53 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the rear joint is a cv type from the factory, not sure what u mean by not standard
Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

My fix a good while back is still doing the deed .... no more big drops hanging off differential housing or spatters on concrete.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...ml#post8408932

Old 05-04-2015, 11:40 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like you have 2 separate issues. Get the car to the dealer, ASAP. The only way to know if it will be covered is to have them look. I don't have any experience with the leaking pinion seal, but I am getting transmission re-built and my car is lowered and tuned. Just be honest with them and it should be covered.

Here's the link to my transmission thread, the shifting issue was a problem with the aftermarket shifter, but the tranny noise is a serious issue: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/718215-mt-82-not-going-into-4th-gear-and-making-noise.html
Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

My 2014 5.0 had the pinion seal replaced at about 15K. It was found and fixed at the 15K service. No noise, no spots in the driveway. Those little spring loaded seals are notorious for failure.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:37 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

A more common problem is gear oil coming out the breather vent on the axle tube. I thought at first that I had a pinion seal leak but fitted a JLT axle overflow tank, cleaned everything up with some brake cleaner spray and it's been completely dry ever since.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

thanks for the info guys! By not the standard u joint, i meant its a cv joint not a u joint.

Im a mechanic so i called the dealer we get parts from and spoke to the service manager. he said its not a problem and he will be able to push the warranty claim through regardless of my mods so that made me happy. Ive done hundreds of pinion seals before but i don't really want to mess with this as it is still under warranty. my diff has always been noisy almost like the lash isn't set right so ill have them look at that too. he said they have seen a lot of issues with the MT82 tranny and if he hears any noise he will pull it without question. i guess it helps to know people haha.
Thanks again for the info, ill update this incase anyone else is experiencing the same issues.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:14 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
thanks for the info guys! By not the standard u joint, i meant its a cv joint not a u joint.

Im a mechanic so i called the dealer we get parts from and spoke to the service manager. he said its not a problem and he will be able to push the warranty claim through regardless of my mods so that made me happy. Ive done hundreds of pinion seals before but i don't really want to mess with this as it is still under warranty. my diff has always been noisy almost like the lash isn't set right so ill have them look at that too. he said they have seen a lot of issues with the MT82 tranny and if he hears any noise he will pull it without question. i guess it helps to know people haha.
Thanks again for the info, ill update this in case anyone else is experiencing the same issues.
Glad to learn your dealer is working with you on this, Lethaldosage423. Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 05-07-2015, 04:26 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

This is why an adjustable upper control arm and mount are important.

Quick Reply: Anyone experiencing a pinion leak?