Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Corrosion on 2012 GT - add me to the long list

Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 AM
zt'sgt

Default Hood Corrosion on 2012 GT - add me to the long list

So after having my wife's 2006 GT's hood re-painted 3 times (2 paid for by Ford) and having the corrosion return yet again, I found I now have the issue on my 2012 GT - I could just scream.
Brought the car (2012 Kona Blue GT, 34,000 miles) to the dealer who took pictures and submitted it to Ford. Got a call back later that afternoon that Ford had rejected it due to it being beyond the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty which cover paint defects. Also stated that the 5 year corrosion warranty doesn't apply as the metal isn't perforated. And of course the extended warranty that I purchased from Ford doesn't apply to "paint defects" either.
I spoke to Ford Customer Service on the telephone and despite the rep stating that he has heard of this issue quite often and wishes Ford would acknowledge the problem and provide a customer satisfaction recall to correct the problem his best advice was to keep receipts for any work I have done in the event they do issue a recall.
So basically it would appear that Ford, which has issued TSBs on this problem, just keeps churning out these hoods and hopes they make it thru the 3 year warranty period before the problems become evident and then stick it to the customer when they do. Nice customer relations.
Having driven Fords my whole life I'm seriously re-considering my loyalty.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:11 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by zt'sgt
So after having my wife's 2006 GT's hood re-painted 3 times (2 paid for by Ford) and having the corrosion return yet again, I found I now have the issue on my 2012 GT - I could just scream.
Brought the car (2012 Kona Blue GT, 34,000 miles) to the dealer who took pictures and submitted it to Ford. Got a call back later that afternoon that Ford had rejected it due to it being beyond the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty which cover paint defects. Also stated that the 5 year corrosion warranty doesn't apply as the metal isn't perforated. And of course the extended warranty that I purchased from Ford doesn't apply to "paint defects" either.
I spoke to Ford Customer Service on the telephone and despite the rep stating that he has heard of this issue quite often and wishes Ford would acknowledge the problem and provide a customer satisfaction recall to correct the problem his best advice was to keep receipts for any work I have done in the event they do issue a recall.
So basically it would appear that Ford, which has issued TSBs on this problem, just keeps churning out these hoods and hopes they make it thru the 3 year warranty period before the problems become evident and then stick it to the customer when they do. Nice customer relations.
Having driven Fords my whole life I'm seriously re-considering my loyalty.
Hey zt'sgt,

Let me check out the situation further. Please send a PM with your VIN, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll take a look into the case.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2015, 03:09 PM
zt'sgt

Jeff,
PM sent - thank you for looking into this. I really appreciate it!
Old 05-11-2015, 05:25 AM
9050scott

Ford just replaced the hood on my '14 for the same problem.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by zt'sgt
Jeff,
PM sent - thank you for looking into this. I really appreciate it!
Thanks, zt’sgt. I’ll get back to you soon.

Originally Posted by 9050scott
Ford just replaced the hood on my '14 for the same problem.
That’s great news, 9050scott!

Deysha
Old 05-12-2015, 05:07 PM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

you just gave me a scare
I have a 2012 gt vert
hope It doesn't happen to me
any way to prevent it
maybe oil under the lip of the hood
dry after washing
anything at all that can prevent this
how common is it
does it happen to all 2012 stangs
anyone else have this problem

luke from the north
Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM
zt'sgt

I wish there was a way for the owner to prevent it. Unfortunately, the issue begins at the factory and there is nothing you can really do except keep an eye out for it and bring it to the dealer as soon as/if the problem pops up. Ford issued a couple of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) on the problem and these state that cross-contamination of the aluminum panel with iron particles before painting is the cause. So it seems to be luck of the draw whether or not you'll get it. The TSB notes that this issue applies to vehicles back to model year 2000. I've owned two Mustangs (2006 and 2012) and I'm 2 for 2. BTW I'm currently saving up to get a fiberglass hood for my wife's 06 (try doing that with your kid playing travel ice hockey!) and hoping Ford comes through and replaces the hood on my 2012.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:44 PM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

Good luck
Hope u get the hood replaced by Ford
Hockey is for us frost bitten Canadians
Keep your kids in hockey
Big return for them when they are adults
Still putting the blades on with the boys in my fifties, havin a few cold ones in the dressing room after the game
Go leafs go

Luke
Old 05-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Hmmm. I had the issue. The Ford dealer in Burlington WI just told me "Tough Luck". I ended up buying a fiberglass hood. Wish the Ford Rep was on these boards when I experienced it.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy
Hmmm. I had the issue. The Ford dealer in Burlington WI just told me "Tough Luck". I ended up buying a fiberglass hood. Wish the Ford Rep was on these boards when I experienced it.
Me too, Tracedaddy!

Deysha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Corrosion on 2012 GT - add me to the long list