Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:08 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Takata is not the only company that manufactures air bags.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Takata is not the only company that manufactures air bags.
yeah, but you can't just switch to Autoliv or TRW overnight.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Try looking in your Owner's Guide. For my 2007, it is Fuse 17 in the passenger compartment fuse panel. The description in the Guide is "Restraint Control Module (RCM), Passenger Occupant Detection System (PODS), Passenger Air bag Deactivation Indicator (PADI)."

I don't know for sure, but removing the fuse may also disable the pretensioner for the seat belts. So your seat belts may not be as effective with the fuse removed.
Your right it will disable everything but in the grand scheme of things it seems more survivable to disable it VS taking the chance I haven't pulled mine but it was a thought. Or just drive around in a flack jacket all the time lol. My mustang is my daily and I have no other car to drive so I worry a little more than others. And since the dealers have no clue about repairs it only seems disabling it may be the only solution. Of course you could just pull the bag and disconnect just the bag and leave the others functioning.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
yeah, but you can't just switch to Autoliv or TRW overnight.
Your right plus they have to make money as well its not their fault our bags our defective. Then you have to wonder who is going to pay for the repairs using their parts? The manufacturers only have limited funds to assist with recalls. What happens when that money runs out? Then the car manufacturers go down with them. This is not as easy a fix as some seem to think it is. Especially when they keep adding more models by the thousands to the recall list. And who knows how many newer cars have the defect and haven't shown symptoms yet? This could end up being way bigger than we all think.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

What I dont understand is if the news media didnt make such a big deal about this, most of you would have recieved your recall notice much like every other recall notice in the history of recalls and wouldnt give a second thought to it. But because the news did what they always do, and blew the story way out of proprtion, everybody thinks that their airbags are now dangerous and will spontaeously explode.

Quit relying on all the safety crap and pay attention to yours and others driving and you will be able to avoid 99.9% of accidents.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 PM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

It is my understanding that many who have already had theirs replaced have now gotten a second letter stating that the replacement is suspect and needs to be replaced. Sounds like we need to wait until some of this is sorted out. I only want to do this once. In the mean time. I think it would just be smarter to disconnect the air bags until they get a handle on this.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

Yesterday, I received a call from my local Ford dealer replacement airbags are here. I have an appointment for next Friday. Of course, I have to leave it and this dealership is notorious for calling in the late afternoon to tell you it is ready -- even if they did the repair at 9:00 that morning.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:38 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveDwsn
Yesterday, I received a call from my local Ford dealer replacement airbags are here. I have an appointment for next Friday. Of course, I have to leave it and this dealership is notorious for calling in the late afternoon to tell you it is ready -- even if they did the repair at 9:00 that morning.
I had mine done last week. It takes them about 4 hours.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I wonder why it takes longer than the previous driver side airbag recall. Ford Motor Company allowed .7 hours for that, and that's about how long it took the dealer to do the job. Maybe your car was just sitting around for three hours.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 PM
JimC

I wonder why it takes longer than the previous driver side airbag recall. Ford Motor Company allowed .7 hours for that, and that's about how long it took the dealer to do the job. Maybe your car was just sitting around for three hours.
The previous recall was a simple programming job. This recall is a replacement and programming issue.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall