Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=flash_xx;8542452...can't buy cool steering wheels anymore [/QUOTE]

No kidding. The '05-'08 steering wheel looks like a bumper car steering wheel. I figured one of the aftermarket companies would have come up with a viable alternative.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I got my first notice last summer. Got my second notice in January and still waiting.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:53 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Newer steering wheels are a lot better than the ones they used to put in 90's cars. Remember when you had to find a 1"x2" (or smaller) button somewhere on the spokes if you needed the horn?
Old 05-06-2016, 04:13 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveDwsn
No kidding. The '05-'08 steering wheel looks like a bumper car steering wheel. I figured one of the aftermarket companies would have come up with a viable alternative.
Grant has one but it's kinda ugly and hyper expensive. How I miss my MOMO's
Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Got my repair letter in the mail today! Thanks to high humidity here in GA we are pretty high on the list. Apparently they are using a risk formula based on age of car/ humidity and salt air in your area to work from high to low risk at least that's what I got from the online article which makes sense why some people have gotten parts and some haven't. Now to make an appointment. The letter said plan on half a day to a day for repairs. Hope this finally fixed it!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
Got my repair letter in the mail today! Thanks to high humidity here in GA we are pretty high on the list. Apparently they are using a risk formula based on age of car/ humidity and salt air in your area to work from high to low risk"
Well, my car is 9 years old and I live on an island in the Caribbean, you can't get any hotter, wet or saltier than that and I still don't have my airbags. Of course since apparently all they are worried about are lawsuits and I'm not in the USA they don't give a crap if I get my face blown off. Then again the local distributor for Ford sucks and I'd rather trust my car to a blind monkey on heroin than to one of their "techs" so I don't know whether being left out of the airbag recall is a good thing or not. I do all work on my car, except for those that require a lift or specialized shop equipment, then I take it to a friend who has a race shop.

One question though, can't I just buy new airbags and install them myself? it's not rocket science. Or are the airbags not available for sale to the public?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:33 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

yeah I looked at that first. I'm like you I do all my own work. Problem is they warranty only replaces the inflate itself. So even if you bought a new one no guarantees the inflate in it is not defective. I talked to my parts guy about it when all this went down. It can be done and a new non corroded one is definitely better than the one in the car but no guarantees it so t fail later on and they are $$$$$. Swapping it isn't hard I've done a bunch of them over the years but this part is free so I'm allowing my dealer to do it.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Toyota just added 1.6 million more cars to the airbag recall.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKCN0YE2MX

this is going to go on forever.

Originally Posted by flash_xx
One question though, can't I just buy new airbags and install them myself? it's not rocket science. Or are the airbags not available for sale to the public?
you could do that, but there's two things to consider: 1) how would you document it so your car shows up as "repaired?" might be important if/when you sell it, and 2) I don't know how you'd go about getting re-imbursed for the cost of the airbag.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:19 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

So, is there only one airbag manufacturer in the whole planet?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:19 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Toyota just added 1.6 million more cars to the airbag recall.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKCN0YE2MX

this is going to go on forever.you could do that, but there's two things to consider: 1) how would you document it so your car shows up as "repaired?" might be important if/when you sell it, and 2) I don't know how you'd go about getting re-imbursed for the cost of the airbag.
Yeah I'm pretty sure Takata will go bankrupt over this. I think Ford approached another supplier for the parts though. At least thats the story I got from a few dealer buddies of mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Recall