Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to lower my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 AM
harleycharlie

Default want to lower my car

Just bought this car, and I would like to drop it about an inch, or so. Not a lot just get it level, and I still want to keep some decent ride quality. (I know, the two don't go together all that much!) What spring kits,companies out there are you guys using. I did a search, and nothing came up. I can look online , but thought some of your experiences might be a big help to me.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM
harleycharlie

found some springs from ford racing. any feedback on the quality of these?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:37 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

A good place to shop is American Muscle 2010-2014 Mustang Springs, you'll find plenty of options, reviews and pictures.

A couple to start with for the 1" drop your looking for are Steeda Sport springs and Ford Racing P-Springs.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:47 PM
harleycharlie

Originally Posted by waykooljr
A good place to shop is American Muscle 2010-2014 Mustang Springs, you'll find plenty of options, reviews and pictures.

A couple to start with for the 1" drop your looking for are Steeda Sport springs and Ford Racing P-Springs.
thats what I was looking at was the ford racing ones, Do you have any input as to how firm the ride gets with these?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:17 PM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

I have the "P" springs with Bilstein shocks and struts. The Bilsteins are more money but they are very good quality. I like the idea of the monotube design. I don't track my car so I didn't really need the adjustable style strut.I had the Brembo package and the ride had an annoying bounce on certain road conditions with front end rising under hard acceleration. Plenty of nose dive when hard braking. All this is gone with the car greatly improved handling and cornering. The ride is firm but not harsh. My daily driver is a 1996 Lincoln Town Car with air ride suspension and I don't mind the lowered ride in the Mustang.Make sure you shorten the bump stops when you lower.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Are you replacing just the springs? Or the shocks as well? My friend replaced just the springs on his car and it was noticeably more stiff than mine. I replaced springs and shocks/struts.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Epona
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Are you replacing just the springs? Or the shocks as well? My friend replaced just the springs on his car and it was noticeably more stiff than mine. I replaced springs and shocks/struts.
At first I only put new lowering springs on mine. It was definitely more rough than stock but not annoyingly so and about what I expected. One of my strut mounts fell apart during install and I had to put it back together (seemed sketchy to me but worked fine), so I figured I should upgrade the struts/mounts/shocks eventually since I'd be taking it apart anyways to replace the mounts, and the difference was amazing. I was expecting the new shocks/struts to help, but didn't think it'd help THAT much. Was a pleasant surprise.

Just my opinion, but if you're going to take it apart and change the springs, might as well change the shocks too. That being said, you can do just the springs and it'll be fine if you don't want to pay more for new struts.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:51 PM
harleycharlie

planning on doing a complete kit, springs, shocks camber plates. I only do a job once!! I am a professional mechanic. work on Mercedes, and BMW automobiles, as well as Harley Davidson, so I kinda know what time it is. But all of my experience is on those two cars. So this mustang is all new to me as far as brands, combinations, and all the product knowledge, that many of you here possess. I listen to it, and also filter out the crap!!! Thanks for your time and help!! I do appreciate all of it. Teaching an old dog new tricks!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:38 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

The Ford springs are decent. I've heard nothing but good things when used in combination with GT500 strut mounts, and FRPP shocks/struts. For only an inch drop, you will most likely get away with just using camber bolts instead of plates. A lot less money and you get a good amount of adjustability with the bolts.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:24 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I got my lowering springs off ebay was a 1.5 in the front and a 1.75 in the rear

Quick Reply: want to lower my car