Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Sound Tube - wow

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by ucinn
Is this sound tube on the V6 also, and if it is, is it located in the same spot as the GT?
No, the V6 doesn't have the sound tube.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, one less thing to worry about....now have to pick my next month mod...the wife has limited me to 1 a month ...lol
Old 08-07-2015, 03:12 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Got my set up from Blowfish 2 days after I ordered it so a solid 'A' on customer service. The kit consisted of a flat plastic plug for the firewall and then the rubber cap & a clamp for the CAI tube section. I gotta admit I was a little disappointed in the rubber cap; I expected it to be a touch thicker & am a tad concerned about long-term durability.

The install took all of about 4 minutes. Unbolt the one bracket w/a 10mm wrench, pull the hose out of the firewall, then disconnect the hose attached to the CAI tube. Pop the cap into the firewall, slip the clamp/rubber cap over the extension where the tube plugged into the CAI & tighten her down- blammo, done.

For those stating it had no effect other than appearance, I gotta disagree. Keep in mind I've got a Steeda CAI so that may be where the difference occurs but in my '14, the interior sound is most definitely quieter, at least by 2-4 decibels. Certainly noticable to my ears.

Is it worth the $13 +/- I spent? Well, I didn't have to drive to the hardware store, figure out what size to buy, & what to buy so that saved some time & effort. The parts from Blowfish probably cost $3 total but it was quick & easy and they did supply lovely directions. You gotta decide if it's worth it to you.

Overall, I'm pleased w/it & if the rubber cap lasts a long time, then even better. It does clean up the engine bay appearance a bit too.
Lee
Old 08-07-2015, 05:39 PM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ucinn
Thanks, one less thing to worry about....now have to pick my next month mod...the wife has limited me to 1 a month ...lol
That's a green light for you to pick the most expensive mods first. I would think a complete suspension change counts as one mod.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

LOL...She still has to approve them though...I did order the painted tail light trim from AM. After that, most of them are big ones. Driveshaft and 3.73 gears, Wheel and tire kit, Hood and paint job... we will be poor for a while
Old 08-08-2015, 04:28 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Quick follow-up to confirm my earlier post: drove the car all day & it's absolutely, positively quieter inside the car. The sound of the CAI sucking air is greatly diminished. I can actually hear my radio & bluetooth now.
Lee
Old 08-12-2015, 03:45 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

do you have any before and after photos? would love to see photos of it finished
Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

No, sure don't but it does clean up the engine bay a bit on the driver side. No more long tube running along that side. And in my Stang's case, it really did make the interior quieter. I'm surprised by how much quieter it is.
Lee
Old 08-20-2015, 01:32 AM
LOLBurnouts

+1 When I first bought the car, I removed the foam plugs.

Then once I got my intake and catback, I decided that I wanted the car to be a little quieter inside so I removed it. I should have done it from the start!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:56 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrisdbassplayer
do you have any before and after photos? would love to see photos of it finished
Here is my before & after...

BEFORE:

CURRENT:

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't notice a lick of difference in the noise after removing the tube. In my opinion, it's a worthless gimmick that sounds good on paper. The engine bay looks soooooooo much better without the tube though. And here is a tip: the kit I bought came with a silver in color hose clamp to hold the rubber plug on the intake tube; I replaced it with a black zip tie to make it look a little nicer (all black). I got my kit from CoolTech LLC (A small specialized place that is probably just helping somebody fund his hobbies a little. You'll see what I mean if you check out the parts he offers and for what vehicles.). Here is the link to the kit: http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-boss...pe-delete.html

Last edited by GLOCKer; 08-20-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Sound Tube - wow