Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of questions! CAI, Ignition Coils, Plugs etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:55 PM
thellamattina

Default Lots of questions! CAI, Ignition Coils, Plugs etc.

Hello guys, I just joined and have some questions. I have a 2005 Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8. So far all i've done is the Flowmaster Cat Back exhaust.

#1 - I want to install a CAI, I see there are many brands (eBay, K&N, SR, AirAid)
Which of them is the best bang for the buck? I am sure they are all basically the same but do some fit better or are better quality?

#2 - Will these coil packs work just fine? Any other recommendations for coils?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/srperf...ck-0510gt.html

#3 - I am also going to replace the plugs with one piece plugs. What plugs (brand and part number) do these motors like best? And will work best with the above coil packs?

I see these have a tendency to snap, so I should: Gently break the plugs loose, then spray PB Blaster down in the spark plug well and let it soak for about an hour... then slowly work the plug back and forth each direction a few times and then remove plug normally. Correct? Any other tips about replacing the plugs?

#4 - I also want to install the Airaid Throttle Body spacer. Is this worth the money? Are there better ones out there? I also see that SR makes one and is on sale for $49 right now.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...er-0509gt.html

Thanks guys! I know this is a long post.
David
Old 07-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Boatloads of info already on the forum about this..... :search:

CAI by itself is a waste of money unless strictly for looks, most power is in the tune
Don't waste money on aftermarket coils they are usually the source of much grief and plenty of problems. FoMoCo or nothing
Champion 7989 one piece for stock are best
Don't waste your money on TB spacer.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:18 PM
thellamattina

Thanks for the reply.

I do plan on doing a tune in the next few months - so with that said, what is the best CAI?

Could you recommend any other bolt ons or modifications that would give some power increases? Everyone's gotta start somewhere.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 PM
SuperFast2Twenty

Steeda does good CIA's. They have the CIA + Tuner packages on their website.

If you are looking for horsepower. Do Long Tube headers, Underdrive pullies, etc.

If you want to "feel" faster, maybe some gears are in order?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thellamattina
Hello guys, I just joined and have some questions. I have a 2005 Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8. So far all i've done is the Flowmaster Cat Back exhaust.

#1 - I want to install a CAI, I see there are many brands (eBay, K&N, SR, AirAid)
Which of them is the best bang for the buck? I am sure they are all basically the same but do some fit better or are better quality?

#2 - Will these coil packs work just fine? Any other recommendations for coils?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/srperf...ck-0510gt.html

#3 - I am also going to replace the plugs with one piece plugs. What plugs (brand and part number) do these motors like best? And will work best with the above coil packs?

I see these have a tendency to snap, so I should: Gently break the plugs loose, then spray PB Blaster down in the spark plug well and let it soak for about an hour... then slowly work the plug back and forth each direction a few times and then remove plug normally. Correct? Any other tips about replacing the plugs?

#4 - I also want to install the Airaid Throttle Body spacer. Is this worth the money? Are there better ones out there? I also see that SR makes one and is on sale for $49 right now.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...er-0509gt.html

Thanks guys! I know this is a long post.
David

David - Welcome to the madness that is MustangForums. I'm Alex from AM and I'm happy to help clear some of the air for ya. Side note I own an '08 Bullitt and daily a '14 F150 EcoBoost

1. You're onto something here - At the end of the day most if not all are going to absoltuely do the same thing. There's a lot of guys on here that are pretty brand loyal. I used to be with Ford Racing until I found out just how restrictive their intake was. The material for the filter was like felt and couldn't be reused/washed.

We have a bunch of Cold Air Intakes for your '05 and you'll see that some differ in materials, price etc.

With a metal intake you wont make as much power (Negligible but it's been tested) as you would with a plastic intake. This is due to metal contracting/expanding due to temperature change. Plastic wont experience this at all.

I've run JLT's series 3 on my car for some time now and I really enjoy it. I've used their parts on my '01 as well. They make a great kit.

2. I'll go either way on Coil on Plug Kits - If your car is high-mileage I think it's appropriate to have them swapped but I would check out Accel's Coil On Plug Kit as I think they make a nicer product (My .02)

3. On Spark Plugs - I don't use anything other than Ford MotorCraft Plugs - If that's what came with the car from the factory and you're not pushing 540hp there's not much of a reason to go with something that's intended for a supercharged/Turboed/Higher HP car.

4. This isn't going to sound much of a sales pitch and I think that the money for the spacer could go elsewhere, like gas!!

Let me know if you have any other questions at all and I hope this helps.

Alex
Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Welcome. As others have said, a lot of great information here. To quickly answer your questions:

1) Do not get the intake without a tune. This is speaking from experience. On my 2006 GT, I bought the K&N CAI without the tune and didn't really notice any difference. It was just louder. Then, I upped and bought a tuner and tune from Brenspeed, and it was night and day. Get both together (Brenspeed was great for me, but American Muscle / BAMA and VMP are amazing as well, so I've heard).

2) Skip the coil packs.

3) As an early 2008 owner, I hear you on the two piece plugs. Been there. How many miles on your Mustang? Follow the procedure EXACTLY for removal. Also, go ahead and buy the Lisle tool in case one breaks off in the head. Above all, take your time on removing the plugs. As for one-piece, Champion or Brisk.

4) No on the throttle body spacer. Does nothing.