Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford warranty

Old 08-10-2015, 02:58 PM
landomar2014

Default ford warranty

i own a 2012 mustang 3.7 i bought it about 2 years ago with about 8k miles about a week ago i went to go start it and it wouldn't crank i took it to ford and they called me the day after and told me the engine is stuck and they're going to need oil change receipts for the powertrain warranty i told him i change my own oil as i do every 7500 miles and he told me you need the purchase receipts . i did not keep them and now Im worried about the warranty not covering the damaged engine. if theres anyone that could help me out i would appreciate it a lot thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Sorry but when the advisor puts in for approval Ford corporate will ask for receipts. Divers need to keep auto parts receipts for this case. See if your autocrats store may keep records or hopefully you bought the times on a credit card and maybe you can print out those transactions.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:51 PM
landomar2014

i wish someone would have said keep the oil receipts i trow them away
Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 PM
landomar2014

my mustang only has 30400 miles i have only changed the oil 3 times myself every 7500 miles i put Mobil 1 5W-20 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by landomar2014
i wish someone would have said keep the oil receipts i trow them away
Nobody at Ford is going to tell you to keep them. They hope you don't so they do not have to pay the claim. To me common sense would tell you to keep them. I am old school and still change oil at every 3,000 miles. Beyond the Mustang I have an Eco-boost Fusion that only takes just over 4 quarts of oil. It looks horrible at 3 K let alone another 4500 Miles! I might be throwing some money away by changing so often but it is my insurance. And if you look at it over the life of a car the extra I spend on oil is minimal compared to a new motor! Look at it this way. Keep a car 100,000 miles and change oil every 3000 miles at approx. 25.00 per oil change it costs you not eve 850.00 but if you even double that to go every 6,000 miles yo only spend 425 on oil changes. so is the extra 425.00 comparable to a new engine????? I am an accountant so I run the numbers on everything.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 PM
landomar2014

i need 5w20 oil receipts ford will not fix my car with out them i didn't keep mine thanks all
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

but if you even double that to go every 6,000 miles yo only spend 425 on oil changes. so is the extra 425.00 comparable to a new engine?
Where's your evidence that 6k oil changes will require a new engine after 100k miles?

I put over 160k miles on my 99 Trans Am before getting the Mustang. Changed the oil every 6k miles. Put numerous autoX and drag strip runs on the car. Engine still ran beautifully when I sold it. (Electrical and HVAC systems were another story)

Look at it this way, who do you really think knows more about proper engine maintenance, Ford Engineers or an accountant?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:32 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Where's your evidence that 6k oil changes will require a new engine after 100k miles?

I put over 160k miles on my 99 Trans Am before getting the Mustang. Changed the oil every 6k miles. Put numerous autoX and drag strip runs on the car. Engine still ran beautifully when I sold it. (Electrical and HVAC systems were another story)

Look at it this way, who do you really think knows more about proper engine maintenance, Ford Engineers or an accountant?
You completely missed my point..... I was just saying that the smaller the interval of changing oil doesn't cost that much more....... Ford and or any other manufacturer is out to sell cars not engines.... So their engineers are going to design a motor that will make it past the warranty stage with a said oil change interval. After that they want you to trade it in and buy a new one.... That is just society today.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:30 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by svastano
You completely missed my point..... I was just saying that the smaller the interval of changing oil doesn't cost that much more....... Ford and or any other manufacturer is out to sell cars not engines.... So their engineers are going to design a motor that will make it past the warranty stage with a said oil change interval. After that they want you to trade it in and buy a new one.... That is just society today.
BS - real world experience. I changed the oil in my 2006 on much longer intervals than 3,000 miles (the oil change places recommend that because ............ they are in the business of selling you more oil!). I had the oil analyzed at Blackstone Labs and they kept telling me to stretch it further - at the end I was going 8,000 miles between changes and they were still saying it could go further. That car had nitrous for 2 seasons, then the supercharger was put on at 90.000 miles. When I sold it in June 2012 it had 203,000 miles on it, still running strong. The new owner is at 224,000 last I heard, still on the stock engine. I didn't drive that car easy either. Weekends it was at the track every other weekend from April through October and into November if the track stayed open.

I'd say that engine made it well past warranty stage, with the Ford engineer recommended oil changes and then stretching it based upon testing and analyzing the oil periodically.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:34 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I change mine every 5,000...easy to remember when it's time for a change that way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ford warranty