Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Gt Automatic Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Ryan.Kimberly

Default 2007 Gt Automatic Transmission Issues

I've been having problems with my 2007 Gt. When I first got the car 2nd gear would always shift "hard". when I get it tuned by Bama 2nd gear seem to hesitate. I didn't really think much of it then I installed longtube headers and got a new tune. When I was racing a 2010 camaro ss my car seem to slowly shift from 1st to 2nd and then from 2nd to 3rd seem to take almost 2 full seconds to shift. Is it my tune or is my transmission going out??
Old 08-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's not the transmission but more than likely the fluid and/or supporting hardware.

When was the last time the fluid was flushed on your car? It's supposed to be every 30K. These cars are Very sensitive to worn fluid. Start there, if that doesn't fix it, start looking at the valve body and solenoid pack.

The Valve bodies on these are made out of aluminum with steel pistons. Over time the valve body passageways get worn and they leak pressure. Like all aftermarket tunes, the tuner tries to make the tranny more responsive by upping the internal pressure. This can accelerate the wear issue on the tranny valve body. It's also not the best way to go for long term durability.

The solenoid are electric motors that control the flow and in many cases pressure of fluid. When they start wearing you get all sorts of problems including delayed shifting or flaring (flaring is where the engine revs up then slams into gear).

A little less than a year ago I got a remaned valve body, and also added a shift kit to it. I also changed out the solenoid pack that controls the pressures and timing of the shifts. A remand valve body is preferred over a new one, it's cheaper, has some improvements made to it over the original and usually has the same type of warranty as a new one. You generally want a new solenoid pack since there's nothing really to rebuild on them.

Those parts along with the tune made the difference Night and Day!

It's not hard to swap the parts but you need to be mechanically inclined and know what the remanufacturer has modified and what the shift kit will modify. If you don't pay attention and you mix components that aren't supposed to be mixed, you will have drivability issues at least and at worst, damage the tranny. (That was a very time consuming lesson for me on another vehicle, luckily there was no permanent damage).

We don't have any sponsors that offer these types of parts so I'm posting the direct link from where I got my parts from.

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/5r55sw.aspx

Robert Gaul Sr. is the owner and is a standup guy. He provided me the instructions before I purchased anything for both brands of shift kit to help me decide which was best for me, answered all of my questions and even helped figure out what I did wrong on another vehicle.

I picked up the Shift Technologies Shift Kit (black and yellow box), the valve body which is remaned by VBX (now part of Sonnax who are aftermarket tranny gurus and offer kits and components to resolve known OEM issues), the solenoid pack, the filter and gasket, and the shift red tube of Instant Shudder Fix.

If you need, I can provide you a link to a how-to post I wrote up after I did the job. No pictures though cos I didn't think of it at the time
Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Ryan.Kimberly

Would 79k miles be too many miles that i would need to invest in that? or should i be okay?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Start with the tranny fluid and filter swap. My car had 63K when I did all that. I've got a little under 70K now.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Ryan.Kimberly

I got new fluid and filter swap and did rear end fluid. It seems to be running better but time will tell last time. It ran fine just when i race it, it seems to have problems.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Most likely the valve body is worn/wearing then. Whatever remaned unit you get, whatever shift kit you get, you should also pick up this part and install it on the Valve Body you get.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2229

It will cut down on the slow shifting/slipping feel between gears. I didn't see that part was available until after I put mine all back together...think I may take some time in the near future to put one in. I don't have the delays you do but I still want to firm things up.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Ryan.Kimberly

Would it be bad to just keep driving with it? I can't afford to fix it for about 2 months because i'm off for college now.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Ryan.Kimberly

would i need the solenoid block then? or would it be best just to leave that out?

Last edited by Ryan.Kimberly; 08-16-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It doesn't seem like you have any significant issues yet. If you can't afford to fix it right away, baby it until you do. I doubt you'll do any serious damage but you will create added wear on the clutch bands from excess slipping.

If you can, at least get the valve body done. The Solenoid pack is not required but you have to remove the pack to remove the valve body anyways so it's not extra work if you can afford to do them both at the same time.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Ryan.Kimberly

I bought the valve body solenoid block filter and instant shudder. the guy said i didn't need the shift kit so he didn't send it does it really help that much?

Quick Reply: 2007 Gt Automatic Transmission Issues