need a water pump step by step guide - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

need a water pump step by step guide

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

need a water pump step by step guide

Old 09-02-2015, 12:16 AM
needhelpplease

Default need a water pump step by step guide

Hey mustang family, recently my 07 mustang has been leaking coolant. I've checked every hose but didn't see any leaking from any of them. I was able to see leaking from a bolt under the car (where i suspect the water pump is). I plan on taking it to diffrent shops to see what exactly is the problem and whats the price. Being that i dont really have alot of moneyto spent right know, i might have to DIY. So hopefully someone can help me out. I would upload some pictures later on to show where the leaking is coming from since i wasnt being specific enough. Any advice would help. Thank guys.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:11 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
3rd Gear Member

Fortunately changing the water pump is an easy job on our cars and within the capability of a DIY mechanic.

1. Disconnect the wiring connector to MAF sensor.
2. Remove the airbox, intake pipe to throttle body, and the PCV hose to passenger side valve cover as a complete assembly .
3. Loosen the water pump pulley bolts (easier with the drivebelt still in place).
4. Release the drivebelt tensioner with a breaker bar and remove the drivebelt.
5. Place a large bowl under the engine.
6. Remove cap from coolant expansion reservoir.
7. Remove the water pump pulley to gain access to the water pump retaining bolts.
8. Remove the retaining bolts and separate the water pump from the block. Coolant will gush out into the bowl you placed earlier.
9. Clean the block mating surface and also clean the threads on the water pump retaining bolts.
10. Apply a light smear of vaseline or grease on the new water pump's rubber seal.
11. Install new water pump and torque bolts to the required spec.
12. Reinstall water pump pulley with the bolts only finger tight at this stage.
13. Reinstall drivebelt and tighten water pump pulley bolts to the required spec.
14. Reinstall air intake assembly and remember to plug the wiring connector back into the MAF sensor.
15. Remove the bowl from underneath the engine and safely dispose of coolant.
16. Refill the cooling system preferably with a combination of Motorcraft Gold concentrate and distilled water (50:50 mix) up to the cold fill mark on the expansion reservoir.
17. Start the engine, leave it to idle with the cap still off the expansion reservoir, and switch on the heater (or defroster).
18. Slowly add more coolant to the reservoir until there are no more air bubbles and the level begins to rise above the cold full mark.
19. Replace the cap and go for a 10-15 minute drive to bring the engine up to normal operating temperature.
20. Allow the engine to cool down again for at least 4 hours, check the coolant level in the expansion reservoir, and top up as required.

If the engine runs hotter than normal despite the coolant level in the reservoir being correct, there may still be a pocket of air trapped in the cooling system.
Next time you start the engine from cold, release the bleed screw on the top of the water neck and allow any remaining trapped air to escape. You might want to place a rag around it beforehand so it doesn't make a mess.
If that still doesn't work, you'll need a special vacuum kit (available from Amazon) to get the job done.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 09-02-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by needhelpplease View Post
Hey mustang family, recently my 07 mustang has been leaking coolant. I've checked every hose but didn't see any leaking from any of them. I was able to see leaking from a bolt under the car (where i suspect the water pump is). I plan on taking it to diffrent shops to see what exactly is the problem and whats the price. Being that i dont really have alot of moneyto spent right know, i might have to DIY. So hopefully someone can help me out. I would upload some pictures later on to show where the leaking is coming from since i wasnt being specific enough. Any advice would help. Thank guys.
Do you have the 4.6 or the 4.0? If the 4.0, have you checked the thermostat housing yet? That is the source of probably 99% of coolant leaks on the 4.0 V6.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
needhelpplease

I have a 4.0 and heres a picture of i what i saw under the car after the my car went from a full coolant to a 1/3 coolant tank.

Not sure if its clear or not. Im checking to see if its the thermostat housing. Wish me luck
Old 09-02-2015, 02:30 PM
needhelpplease

I've checked the thermostat housing but to my knowledge it doesn't seem to be damaged. Here are some pictures
Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
needhelpplease

Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 PM
JimC

The split usually happens in the seam in your second picture. Take a look under your intake manifold and see if you see any coolant there. When the split opens up it will blow under the manifold.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 AM
needhelpplease

So here's an update. From later inspection i found it was leaking from behind the water pulley. So i believe its the water pump. Only problem is that i couldnt remove it. The bolts are on tight, and yes the belt is on but the pulley still moves. I need some tips on how to remove.