MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Borla ATAK not louder than S-type (Stinger) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/721717-borla-atak-not-louder-than-s-type-stinger.html)

2007CalSpec 09-05-2015 12:47 PM

Borla ATAK not louder than S-type (Stinger)

Anyone who is considering the Borla ATAK over the S-type for the loudness should reconsider. I just switched to the ATAK because I wanted something louder but still had tone. I didn't want a muffler delete. Been there, done that. Deletes have no tone. I searched Youtube vids and Googled "Borla ATAK vs S-type stinger" and couldn't really find any comparisons. All I found were people saying the ATAK is louder (probably from reading online themselves) but I really don't think these people ever had first hand experience. Anyway, after I installed the ATAK and started the car, I was surprised how quiet it was at idle compared to the S-type. Probably one notch lower on my imaginary sound meter. ;) It could be because I've broken in the S-type (ran for 1yr 2mo) and it got louder over time. With the ATAK, cruising and WOT was about the same as the S-type. The only difference that I could tell was that the ATAK has a light burbling in its tone which I kind of like I guess. Was it worth shelling out $500+ for something louder? In this case, HELL NO! Kind of disappointed. Now I need to figure out if I want to keep the ATAK or sell it and switch back to the S-type. By the way, I'm running stock cats with a Pypes X-pipe, and Dynomax Race Bullets for resonators. The resonators have been on the car since way back when I had an O/R Prochamber. I was thinking if I got rid of the resonators then maybe it would make it a bit louder since they basically muffle sound too. Yes?

loots06 09-06-2015 02:29 AM

If you remove the resonators it will be louder but then might have more drone. Are the resonators staggered?

2007CalSpec 09-06-2015 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by loots06 (Post 8506265)
If you remove the resonators it will be louder but then might have more drone. Are the resonators staggered?

They're not staggered. The resonators were originally installed to get rid of the raspiness of the O/R Prochamber and Boomtubes I was running years ago. Drone doesn't bother me. I just bought new over axle pipes to get rid of the resonators. We'll see how it sounds afterwards.

FivePointToTheOh 09-10-2015 01:12 PM

Have you broken the Mufflers in yet? I promise they are louder than the S-Type.

danzcool 09-10-2015 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh (Post 8506947)

I'm sure that's true with s-type/ataq for 2011+, but I question it on the 2005-2010 versions which were and are sold as stingers. These are small mufflers with a cylindrical packaging and a straight through design. When I look at the s-type for 2011 plus, it looks more like a regular oval-oid muffler.

Just not sure.

2007CalSpec 09-10-2015 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh (Post 8506947)

2013 Mustang GT/CS - Borla Atak Full System, CAI, Tune, Cats Removed. - YouTube

LOL Says the guy running without cats. ;) Anyway, I've only had the ATAKs for about a week.

2007CalSpec 09-10-2015 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by danzcool (Post 8507009)
I'm sure that's true with s-type/ataq for 2011+, but I question it on the 2005-2010 versions which were and are sold as stingers. These are small mufflers with a cylindrical packaging and a straight through design. When I look at the s-type for 2011 plus, it looks more like a regular oval-oid muffler.

Just not sure.

Wow I didn't realize they changed the shape of the mufflers for 2010-2014.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/borla-...ck-1314gt.html

Yeah that would change the tone and noise level.

DJR 12-13-2020 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec (Post 8506191)
Anyone who is considering the Borla ATAK over the S-type for the loudness should reconsider. I just switched to the ATAK because I wanted something louder but still had tone. I didn't want a muffler delete. Been there, done that. Deletes have no tone. I searched Youtube vids and Googled "Borla ATAK vs S-type stinger" and couldn't really find any comparisons. All I found were people saying the ATAK is louder (probably from reading online themselves) but I really don't think these people ever had first hand experience. Anyway, after I installed the ATAK and started the car, I was surprised how quiet it was at idle compared to the S-type. Probably one notch lower on my imaginary sound meter. ;) It could be because I've broken in the S-type (ran for 1yr 2mo) and it got louder over time. With the ATAK, cruising and WOT was about the same as the S-type. The only difference that I could tell was that the ATAK has a light burbling in its tone which I kind of like I guess. Was it worth shelling out $500+ for something louder? In this case, HELL NO! Kind of disappointed. Now I need to figure out if I want to keep the ATAK or sell it and switch back to the S-type. By the way, I'm running stock cats with a Pypes X-pipe, and Dynomax Race Bullets for resonators. The resonators have been on the car since way back when I had an O/R Prochamber. I was thinking if I got rid of the resonators then maybe it would make it a bit louder since they basically muffle sound too. Yes?

Yes! I'd definitely recommend deleting the resonators.. & cats! 😄😈
I have Longtubes, no cats, stamped & clamped X, 2.5" piping.. It's nice!
Except, right now, I have Pypes M80's. I want the rumble of the ATAK's. The M80's sound good, but a little too importy.