Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang - Transmission rattle and slippage/stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:05 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default 2005 Mustang - Transmission rattle and slippage/stuttering

Hello everyone, been a while since I've posted.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT that is having a strange issue. For a while, the transmission has been making a weird rattle, which coincides with it "slipping". If you give it gas, especially while making turn, it kind of stutters and lurches and doesn't really accelerate like it should, and this is accompanied by a transmission rattle. Whenever you let off the gas, the rattle gets slightly louder as you can feel the transmission/engine matching speeds, and as soon as they match, it kind of lurches and the noise stops. This culminated with the clutch pedal abandoning me on the road - i went to put it in first, my left foot went to the floor and stayed there, and I lost all clutch pedal engagement.

I took the car to a shop. They said it was the master cylinder and some associated plastic clip that had failed. They replaced these items, the car drives again, but it still has that rattle/shuddering issue. The shop I took it to does not do transmission work so they said that they could not help me.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I suspect it may be related to that transmission rattle TSB, but that wouldn't explain the shuddering. I can't put my foot to the floor and accelerate normally/strongly.

Also, when the car does that shuddering thing, the engine kind of changes tone- a little more warbly. It's strange, because in neutral, it sounds completely normal, but the engine sounds different when this whole thing happens.

Would love some insight from anyone who can help. Thanks in advance

EDIT: Forgot to add, I tested the clutch and so did the shop. Verdict is that the clutch is fine.

Last edited by AmericanMuscle4.6GT; 09-12-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:15 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

If you still have the original clutch assembly it may be time to replace it.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yes, it sounds like slipping clutch. There's an inspection plate under the car between the tranny and engine, remove it and take a peek. You will probably find your flywheel is glazed and/or bluish in color. That's slippage.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

BUMP

Had the clutch and associated kit replaced (throwout/pilot bearing, flywheel, etc). Still having the same issues!!!!

At this point I'm thinking it has to be internal in the transmission itself. But they drained the fluid through a filter, and it was (their words) "flawless) - no particulate matter whatsoever.

What could be causing this? The actual transmission itself is "slipping" and making rattling noises. The problem is more pronounced the lower the gear you're in. The car lurches and sputters on acceleration.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

my auto made a metalic howling noise after a day of extra hard acceloration.went away after a bit of tiptoeing around hoping the tranny wasnt going to explode. any others with this expierence?
Old 11-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by bud636
my auto made a metalic howling noise after a day of extra hard acceloration.went away after a bit of tiptoeing around hoping the tranny wasnt going to explode. any others with this expierence?
Start your own thread.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 AM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Start your own thread.
Sorry thought this was a transmission noise thread?
Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Mustang forums is waaaaaayyyyy busier than most other automotive forums.

For that reason, it's best to start your own thread anytime you have a problem or question. This avoids confusion when someone is addressing the original question that started the thread. For instance, this thread was started for a manual transmission. You have an auto transmission, right there is a huge difference and most of the stuff in this thread won't apply to you, and vice-versa.

You'll find some threads get several pages of responses and not everyone quotes what they are responding too so, in order to get the best help for your specific question. Start a new thread