Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPAS Rack steering fights me. Pulls left. It's Alive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:59 PM
jot

This migjt help, but I have my doubts.

TSB 12-08-24 - Effective Aug 30 2012
2011 - 2013 MUSTANG - GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It seems that firmer than OE LCA bushings give the OE EPAS fits
I don't see how, given that the only sensor input the EPAS has to act upon is the steering angle sensor.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 PM
jot

2011 EPAS had issues.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
I don't see how, given that the only sensor input the EPAS has to act upon is the steering angle sensor.
That may (or may not) be the only external sensor. Obviously there has to be some sensor(s) somewhere - possibly inside the EPAS unit itself - that is/are involved with determining what the ANC and DPC corrections need to be. Those corrections are small amounts of steering generated directly within the EPAS system, completely independent of the driver and the steering angle sensor.

You're not supposed to notice the presence of ANC and DPC, but people who modified their cars' front suspension bushings promptly found out that this did not continue to be true. I think some vendors now state that their front control arms aren't or may not be compatible with the EPAS year cars.

Norm
Old 10-16-2015, 08:09 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

That may (or may not) be the only external sensor. Obviously there has to be some sensor(s) somewhere - possibly inside the EPAS unit itself - that is/are involved with determining what the ANC and DPC corrections need to be. Those corrections are small amounts of steering generated directly within the EPAS system, completely independent of the driver and the steering angle sensor.

You're not supposed to notice the presence of ANC and DPC, but people who modified their cars' front suspension bushings promptly found out that this did not continue to be true. I think some vendors now state that their front control arms aren't or may not be compatible with the EPAS year cars.

Norm
there is the only the 1 sensor, it uses that along with software to provide the ANC and DPC
Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The software still needs other inputs to determine when or how much compensation is needed. Not all roads have the same amount of crown, nor would all cars' wheels and tires exhibit the same amounts of nibble. If it's all contained inside the EPAS unit itself (as I suspect), it would not be obvious.

Norm
Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

The software still needs other inputs to determine when or how much compensation is needed. Not all roads have the same amount of crown, nor would all cars' wheels and tires exhibit the same amounts of nibble. If it's all contained inside the EPAS unit itself (as I suspect), it would not be obvious.

Norm
the steering angle sensor is integrated into the EPAS motor, which is itself built into the steering rack.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Is it me or does one of those bushings look a little mangled in the photo you posted.

And nothing with you shifting should effect how the car is handling.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:59 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Norm
because the sensor used is a toque measurement sensor, that is all that is needed to determine the amount of assist required, the other variable is vehicle speed, and that is used to ramp up or down assist based off of road speed
Old 10-16-2015, 01:28 PM
jot

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Is it me or does one of those bushings look a little mangled in the photo you posted.

And nothing with you shifting should effect how the car is handling.

which one? They are labeled.

Quick Reply: EPAS Rack steering fights me. Pulls left. It's Alive!!!