Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junk/Salvage yard near Baltimore, md

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Junk/Salvage yard near Baltimore, md

Hey Guys,

My hood is experiencing the aluminum corrosion again. Instead of paying for another repaint or spending a ton on money on a carbon fiber hood and having it painted, I want too see if I can pick up a hood for next to nothing at a salvage yard.

Trying to not spend hours on the phone with junk yards, I thought I would ask if anyone on here knows of good junk yards in the Baltimore/Washington area (I live in baltimore) that a good place or usually has a lot of mustangs to part out.

"I haven't ever been there, but I hear xxx is good" are acceptable answers as well. Just trying to narrow my search.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:04 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

bump!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:23 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Your problem will be, even if you find a mustang that is not blasted in the front. Convincing the yard to sell you just the hood off a good front end won't happen. And most likely the hood will have the same problem yours has. Good luck
Old 10-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've been told probably the only solution is a fiberglass hood. I've been fighting the same problems for years
Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

It ridiculous. I am wondering if water is getting under the paint from the edge where the metal folds under the hood. I was going to put sealant there this time around to see if it changes it. But I am not paying 500 to get a paint job AGAIN. This is failed product, ford should be fixing this, but noooooo, only if there is whole big enough to stick a rod through. That is just stupid. So my car has to look like crap for a year or two before you fix it. Shameful and obviously they don't really care. Rant over.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:13 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

I can't wait to see what the new ford pickups look like in a few years
Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
It ridiculous. I am wondering if water is getting under the paint from the edge where the metal folds under the hood. I was going to put sealant there this time around to see if it changes it. But I am not paying 500 to get a paint job AGAIN. This is failed product, ford should be fixing this, but noooooo, only if there is whole big enough to stick a rod through. That is just stupid. So my car has to look like crap for a year or two before you fix it. Shameful and obviously they don't really care. Rant over.

Sealing the hood won't help as it is not related to water, the issue is actually caused by an iron contaminant on the aluminum hood at ford prior to the hoods being painted which leads to galvanic coupling and corrosion (bubbling under the paint). It's present on all mustangs (and other Ford cars with aluminum panels) from 2005-2013. Getting it repainted is only a temporary fix as it is undoubtedly all over between the inner and outer shells of the hood. So once you refinish and repaint the outside of the hood, it is only a matter of time until it spreads again to the outside of the hood, from the inside. My service guy told me that Ford has a completely new way to create the aluminum panels that was introduced with the all aluminum trucks they are making and they use that process on the 15+ mustangs now as well so it should be non existent now supposedly?!?

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/hood-rust/