Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:42 PM
07MRMIKE

I just got confirmation on a shipment of LCA's that im going to replace this week. Im hoping this will put an end to a loud front. I ordered the control arms from Tasca Parts,
66 Stamp Farm Rd
Cranston, Rhode Island, 02921
USA
1-800-598-1484
paid 264.00 for the set,cheapest i could find!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Don't get the oem endlinks, get moog ones with a zerk fitting, also check the upper strut nuts, they tend to come loose and make a nasty clunking sound.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:29 AM
07MRMIKE

Well in the past month ive changed out the LCA's, sway bars and strut mounts and the ride quality is night and day, 100% better. There is still something more then just road noise going on but i think it may be something in the rear, control arms possibly. I will change those out over the winter along with a new fuel sending unit cause i noticed my fuel gauge not reading accurately.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 12:31 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Front lower control arms got rid of my front end clunk that was driving me crazy. I went with the GT500 ones.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:16 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Yup, I went with the GT500 ones too. Beefy bastards.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Yup, I went with the GT500 ones too. Beefy bastards.
I was going to go with the GT500 because Tusca Parts had them for close to the same price as the Moog higher end versions (ck series). I decided to go Moog because they offer a lifetime warranty, whereas the GT500 produced from Ford Performance only has 2 years, and after speaking with a rep at FordPerformanceRacingParts.com and Tusca Parts, they said they don't even cover the warranty any more.

I also found Dorman has a lifetime warranty too when I went to purchase the moog ones. They are $50 cheaper but offer a lifetime warranty too. I started a thread to see if anyone has heard of that brand.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

For me it was a combo of stuff, strut mounts, sway bar bushings, and control arms. The links honestly did nothing in my case BUT, there are revised end-links for the 2010+ mustangs that fit on the 2005-2009. The revisions are three fold.

1) They add a nut (17 or 18 mm) at the base of the end link stud to make it easier to keep the stud from rotating while you torque the End link nut to 85 ft lbs. The older version had a simple 8 mm hex head.

2) They changed the threads from coarse to fine. This provides better grip so the nuts don't back off.

3) They also added a different locking insert on the nuts used with the finer thread. Again to keep the nut from backing off.

If you buy the upgraded sway bar end links, be sure to pick up the corresponding nuts. They do not come included with the links.

A tip for sway bar end link installation, It's better to remove the sway bar with the old end links attached (obviously remove the stabilizer link from the strut first).

When you put the new end links on, attached them to the bar first. This is so you can properly torque the end links to sway bar to 85 ft/lbs. If you try to do this while the sway bar is in the car, good luck fitting a torque wrench in there. It will butt up right against the engine or engine cradle.

The End links to strut are easy to do since you have the wheel well to work in.

For brands, I wouldn't cheap out on the LCA's by going off brand. You never know with aftermarket if you are getting an equal or better part when it comes to suspension.

Lifetime warranty is crap if you end up replacing the arms every couple of years because they use sub-par bushings in them. The Ford GT 500 ones will probably last as long as the car at this point.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:58 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

Lifetime warranty is crap if you end up replacing the arms every couple of years because they use sub-par bushings in them. The Ford GT 500 ones will probably last as long as the car at this point.
Are you against Moog and Borman or just Borman?
Old 11-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Not against them necessarily. But I don't hold them in the same high regard I used to.

I've just found that Moog quality has gone down hill over the decades. Used to be a time I would recommend them over OEM every time (I worked in auto parts stores and shops for about 12 years growing up). They are hit/miss these days and the whole "serviceable grease port" is a marking ploy.

Most people won't ever bother greasing them after the first time and most shops never think about it these days when they have a customer car up in the air. So, you end up with a part that fails just as fast or faster than the OEM sealed part. If a Moog (or any brand) fails because it was not properly greased, there goes your 'lifetime' warranty.

Dorman to me is also trying to hard to cover EVERYTHING under the sun, they used to be great for hard to find misc parts (like Help! brand stuff). These days I think they just contract someone that wants to produce a part for a particular car just so Dorman can have a part to sell under their Brand. If you compare an OEM part next to a Dorman, you can see the differences. Yes it fits physically but the dimensions (guage of metal, weld joint quality, seal quality) look and feel different than the OEM, and not in a good way.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM
07MRMIKE

So i went with the GT500 LCA , Eibach sway bars front and rear and the gt500 upper strut mounts. Im looking at doing the rear control arms.
What would be your suggestion on that?

Mike

Quick Reply: Rattle over bumps