Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resurfaced Rotors But Still No Good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 01:26 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Angry Resurfaced Rotors But Still No Good?

I did front brakes at 50k miles on my 2012 GT because the rotors were jumping, pads still had about 40% left on them. After I had them resurfaced I still noticed some uneven feeling at like 5mph, barely nothing compared to before. At high speeds say hard braking at 80mph it was pretty noticeable still. Now it has gotten worse 4 weeks later to the point they were at before I had them cut which took 50k miles to get to.

Can I assume that any heat spots went to deep into the rotor for them to be cut out? I don't want to have to keep taking them off to cut more life off of them. Maybe the shop didn't take enough off?

I have z26 powerstop pads on now. Not sure if that will make a bigger difference with the stock rotors.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

If you can feel the unevenness of a rotor at 5 mph the rotor is toast. No amount of turning is going to bring it back true without making it dangerously thin. The rotors need to be replaced as well as the pads.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You cannot turn heat spots out of a rotor. Get a different pad, new rotor and flush some fluid and you will be good.

If you have hot spots, which area usually bluish, then you will get them again unless you change something. New pads usually fix it.

If you were to put on some better rotors and pads and did not go to the track road racing, they would probably last 30-50k.

Last edited by Simon1; 11-07-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Ford has a little history with warped rotors, there are a few things I always avoid: Tightening the lugs with an impact wrench, I only use a torque wrench.
I also make sure I have the emergency brake off, and my foot only lightly on the brake pedal when I start my 2012. I believe when a car is not moving, and you start the engine with your foot on the brake pedal, the brake hydraulic pressure increases suddenly, and forces the brake pads into the rotors. Over time, I believe this may cause them to warp. I've never had a warped rotor.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:17 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangbass
If you can feel the unevenness of a rotor at 5 mph the rotor is toast. No amount of turning is going to bring it back true without making it dangerously thin. The rotors need to be replaced as well as the pads.
Agree 100%

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Ford has a little history with warped rotors, there are a few things I always avoid: Tightening the lugs with an impact wrench, I only use a torque wrench.
That's a wise policy. Overtightening of the lug nuts with an impact wrench can indeed warp the rotors so beware next time you visit a tire shop.