Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 mustang gt misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Bryan Morris

Old 12-25-2015, 11:05 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Morris
Thanks. It's still under warranty....to a degree....lol.
don't be so smug. the mods done to your car are the kind which can legally void warranty claims.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Bryan Morris

Originally Posted by jz78817
don't be so smug. the mods done to your car are the kind which can legally void warranty claims.
Sorry not meaning to be smug.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

He's not being smug, he bought it off a used car lot as is and they offer a warranty, fwiw.

Don't pull the injector, the spark plug will tell you what you need to know. You need to pull all the injectors to pull one and it would throw a serious CEL hard fault if you had one down. Drive gently and you'll be fine going to get 110. This is probably a lot more simple than it seems (I hope). I'd pull that plug before I did anything though.

That warranty probably isn't worth using as buttwipe if you try to enforce it. It probably has all kinds of exclusions to make your life miserable. Warranties are a sales tactic, not a customer protection system. I got Ford to rebuild my manual trans on my last car when it imploded without provocation withing 10K. That was some of the toughest negotiating I've ever done and I do high stakes negotiation daily.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would make sure to do the above. It is very important to have really good fuel in the car. The 110 could be ok. Make sure it is unleaded.

If it were me, I would check the plugs then drive the car like a grandma until it was at 0 miles. Then I would pot in known good fuel.

Next I would also put all new plugs in.

Start searching around this forum and your area for a tuner. I'm sure there are shops that can tune that thing other than PROcharger.

You might give a ring to Advanced Engine Development in Shingle Springs, CA. They can remote tune cars.

There are also others that can do it too.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Bryan Morris

I'm feeling sick!....
Old 12-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Bryan Morris

I can see down in the cylinder and see the piston....it doesn't look marked up.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Bryan Morris

Ok I talked with my dad's friend who used to build motors for dirt track racers. He says there is a high possibility that if the dealership did fill it with the wrong octane then the motor is more than likely runnin so lean that it heated up the spark plug enough to fold it. He said to replace and refuel with the proper octane and go from there. Does this sound realistic?
Old 12-27-2015, 11:29 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Less likely with modern materials but possible. The engine doesn't "run lean" when the wrong octane is in. What happens is the cylinder pings under load and the pressure of that can easily fold a ground strap, bend a rod or hole a piston. What that means is you have uncontrolled combustion of the fuel mixture out of time with the intended moment of that event. This creates pressure waves that are massive, striking the piston as it tries to move mechanically up the bore. To much of this and something's gotta give. You caught it early, though, so, you could replace the plug, put proper fuel in it and see what she does. Frankly, I'd replace all 8 plugs with a range colder, like NGK 6510s, if I were you and run a compression check while I had them out.

Last edited by P51C; 12-27-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Morris
Ok I talked with my dad's friend who used to build motors for dirt track racers. He says there is a high possibility that if the dealership did fill it with the wrong octane then the motor is more than likely runnin so lean that it heated up the spark plug enough to fold it. He said to replace and refuel with the proper octane and go from there. Does this sound realistic?
I don't think you really understand what some of us are telling you. Your vehicle, because it is modified like it is, requires special attention to a few details.

It needs quality fuel, 91 octane minimum.

Good spark plugs, 0 degree

A good tune.

Until those few things are spot on, your car will never drive correctly.

Then you need to find someone who knows what they are doing. Your dirt track buddy will not have a lot to offer. I get that you are limited on tools and funds. But if you screw around and don't take the advice of some of us here, you could pop that motor and then you would be spending somewhere around 10k for a new one.

A really good mechanic, that does not have exact specific training and experience with a car set up like yours will lead you down the wrong path.

You can figure out what injectors you have by looking at them. They are not difficult to remove.

I want you to enjoy your car. I want you to really love the car and drive the **** out of it. But...It is going to probably take a little bit of money, some patience and some help from someone who knows what they are doing.

Just FYI, the tune for your car it's probably the single most difficult thing to get done correctly.

Quick Reply: 14 mustang gt misfire