Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 GT Premium switch illumination

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 PM
cglavan

Question 2012 GT Premium switch illumination

Hi all,

I bought a used 2012 GT Premium, and love it. Great shape, decent mileage, and more power than any of the other stangs that I've owned. Only thing I can complain about is that it's automatic, but the "wife acceptance factor" played a big part in that decision.

I'm having a problem where one of the illumination circuits isn't working, and I can not figure it out for the life of me. The switches that aren't being illuminated are the "non-dimmable" ones as follows:
  • Headlight switch
  • Info/Setup/Reset
  • Steering wheel controls
  • Traction/Hazzard/Trunk
  • Floor shifter

After researching what a few others have said on various forums, I grabbed my multimeter and went hunting. First I checked all of the fuses. The #10 fuse was blown, so I replaced it hoping that was the problem. It wasn't. Next, after reading the thread here, I cycled the headlight switch and dimmer. Again, no dice. Next, I pulled the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes. Still nothing. I grabbed a flashlight and started looking for loose wires around the shifter console, headlight switch area, etc. Again, nothing loose, broken, or otherwise damaged.

I'm decently knowledgeable in wiring and circuitry (although I can't really read schematics too good), so I decided to test a portion of the circuit by supplying 12 volts to it. I chose the floor shifter light, and located the 2 wires (blue and black) that come down from the shifter and plug into a connector on the right side of the console. When I did that, the shifter lit up. So, I decided to connect 12 volts to the other end of the connector, and to my surprise all of the above-mentioned lights lit up.

This is where my circuit knowledge is lacking. My thoughts are that it's not a ground issue since backfeeding the circuit from the shifter connector worked. So, I'm thinking that it's a power issue, but have no idea what I should be looking at. I know at one point some "event" blew the #10 fuse, but since I replaced it before diving in further it hasn't blown again.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated, as this is quite annoying when driving at night.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 PM
cglavan

Anyone have ANY ideas?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 AM
cglavan

Well, for the benefit of others who may come across the same issue, I took it to a local Ford dealer and they say it's a power issue from the Smart Junction Box. Cost me $105 for the diagnostics, but the dealer that I bought it from is covering the part under warranty ($187 from www.fordgenuineparts.com). Only thing is, I have to take it back to the Ford dealer to have them install and program it for another $155. The used dealer doesn't have the equipment to program it, and the warranty won't cover them towing it to Ford to have the programming done.

So, $260 later I'll have all of my lights working.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 AM
cglavan

Sorry...it's www.fordgenuineautoparts.com