Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:20 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Default Uneven brake pad wear

So, this is probably obvious to most everyone but I wanted to get a sanity check before taking the car in tomorrow to have a stern conversation with the shop who installed my rear brakes.

New rotors, pads and calipers last time - all installed at the shop. I heard a grinding on one side after about 5K miles and 3 track days and realized the pads were worn. Visual confirmed it. I got in and replaced the driver side this afternoon - pads worn all the way down. And got started on the passenger side and find the pads almost totally new. I stopped and wrote this message.

I know it's retarded to have Hawk sports on one side and Porterfields on the other side and I won't drive it like that, except back to the shop to have that discussion.

I'm trying to remember why the calipers were changed (I haven't done much Mustang driving the past 18 months) and i think it was the same problem - uneven wear. Given that, we can rule out the calipers causing it.

Before I allow the shop to continue doing part-changing-trouble-shooting-at-my-expense, it'd be great to have some ideas about what else can cause it?

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:22 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Brake hose should always get replaced when a caliper is replaced. Inside of hose can collapse causing the pads not to retract
Old 01-11-2016, 09:08 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My last car was a BMW which I drove very aggressively in the mountains many a weekend. it was highly modified. for quite some time I felt there was a slight pull to one side when braking. Not enough to be that worried about, but, it was there. for its 100k birthday I decided to give it new brake hoses. Car proceeded to brake easily in straight lines. This "slight pull" was felt with hands off, slow speed braking, not hot rodding through the mountains. FWIW
Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 AM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Awesome, great shared experience! Thank you algregory and SCCAGT!