Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 mustang V6 - SelectShift damaging engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:56 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Question 2014 mustang V6 - SelectShift damaging engine?

Hello everyone

So I've been driving my 2014 mustang for over a year now and I was wondering when I'm using the sport mode and changing the gears as I'm driving. Am I hurting the car when I downshift from lets say 50km/hour from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st going 35km/hour? I'm talking about when it backfires when you drop the gear is that going to damage the engine? I have a Roush axleback I'm using in the non winter months (Winter I put on the stock one).

Thanks!

-Raymond
Old 01-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

If it is going into gear it is not hurting it, the computer will not let it over rev.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:46 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

There are safety precautions built in so you can't hurt the motor or transmission.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm talking about when it backfires when you drop the gear is that going to damage the engine?
However, backfiring is not good. If it only does it with your custom exhaust it could be pulling un-burnt gas from the cylinders. Explosions should be inside your engine not in the exhaust. I would try to avoid backfiring. Probably won't hurt anything, but nothing good can come from it though.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:03 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
However, backfiring is not good. If it only does it with your custom exhaust it could be pulling un-burnt gas from the cylinders. Explosions should be inside your engine not in the exhaust. I would try to avoid backfiring. Probably won't hurt anything, but nothing good can come from it though.
Sorry I didn't mean backfiring, I meant when you lower the gear and it starts to bubble or when your accelerating and the RPMS go higher when your going to fast in the selected gear (I don't know the word lol).

Siber so if I for instance by mistake lower from 2nd to 1st going @ like 15-20km the car pulls back hard, I'm guessing this will is when the damage might occur (I've done it a few times by accident).
Old 01-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

if I for instance by mistake lower from 2nd to 1st going @ like 15-20km the car pulls back hard,
Unlike a manual transmission that can be downshifted and over rev the engine, the select shift will not downshift at RPM that will over rev the engine.
There are people who say "use the brakes to slow the car not the transmission" but what fun is that?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:34 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Unlike a manual transmission that can be downshifted and over rev the engine, the select shift will not downshift at RPM that will over rev the engine.
There are people who say "use the brakes to slow the car not the transmission" but what fun is that?
Thanks buddy I guess I'll continue doing it then haha, thanks for everyone help!