Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in-cabin filter and drop-in filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default in-cabin filter and drop-in filters

So I've had my car just over 20 months and have been noticing a funny smell the past couple months every once in awhile. At first I thought it was just because the carpet got a little damp occasionally so I bought an air freshener clip. Then I thought it may be a heater core leak, but that checked out okay. On the way home tonight, I noticed it was getting worse, especially when using the heat. Then it hit me, I haven't changed the in-cabin filter since I've had my car!

So my question is which kind do you guys use? I found a cheap paper one for about $11 online, but there is also a Fram fresh breeze which is supposed to deodorize airflow for $18. Then there is the K&N which is a little pricey at $40, but still not that bad since you don't have to replace it. Do you think there would be any other benefits to the K&N like performance or air flow gains? I'm doubting it since the K&N engine drop-in reportedly doesn't offer any real gains unless you get a tune. But then again, I've used them on almost all my cars in the past and swear it at least made better engine sound and slight mileage increase.

Last edited by Mrbobcat; 01-23-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:07 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I tried one of those scented cabin air filers and didn't notice much of a difference...maybe the filter was old or something but I would just get a regular air filter. You could douse it with several sprays of Febreeze or something and probably get a similar result.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:09 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I use the Fram Fresh Breeze. Been happy with them.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:38 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
So I've had my car just over 20 months and have been noticing a funny smell the past couple months every once in awhile. At first I thought it was just because the carpet got a little damp occasionally so I bought an air freshener clip. Then I thought it may be a heater core leak, but that checked out okay. On the way home tonight, I noticed it was getting worse, especially when using the heat. Then it hit me, I haven't changed the in-cabin filter since I've had my car!

So my question is which kind do you guys use? I found a cheap paper one for about $11 online, but there is also a Fram fresh breeze which is supposed to deodorize airflow for $18. Then there is the K&N which is a little pricey at $40, but still not that bad since you don't have to replace it. Do you think there would be any other benefits to the K&N like performance or air flow gains? I'm doubting it since the K&N engine drop-in reportedly doesn't offer any real gains unless you get a tune. But then again, I've used them on almost all my cars in the past and swear it at least made better engine sound and slight mileage increase.
I have a 2014 mustang also, I notice a funny smell during the hotter months after I park it for an hour or two and then go back inside. I have no idea what it is but people have pointed it out to me also. Does anyone know the part number for the Fresh breeze filter, I went to walmart but could only find the normal air filter from inside the engine.

I found this one but not sure -
FRAM CF10370 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter, Passenger Compartment Air Filters - Amazon Canada FRAM CF10370 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter, Passenger Compartment Air Filters - Amazon Canada
Old 01-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

This filter should fit a 2014 Mustang, V-6 Base model.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 PM
SeanW

Did I really just read a thread about putting a tune on a drop in cabin air filter?! Is this the real world?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SeanW
Did I really just read a thread about putting a tune on a drop in cabin air filter?! Is this the real world?
Somebody's very confused.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Drophead08
1st Gear Member

I just bought a used '08 and it looked like the cabin air filter had never been changed, but the engine air filter looked brand new. I'll bet cabin air filters are the least changed items on a car.

Don
Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Agreed. I would bet a lot of people don't even know it's there.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:40 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I ended up getting the Fram. I can't really smell the deodorizer, but no more bad smell in the car and that's the main thing. The old filter was loaded with gunk and looks like it got wet a few times.

Quick Reply: in-cabin filter and drop-in filters