Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best all season tire for 06 mustang GT (18") for best ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default best all season tire for 06 mustang GT (18") for best ride quality?

been looking to get new tires and was wondering what tires y'all recommend in general for the best/smoothest ride quality for 06 mustang GT (18")?

Like what's the best one you recommend, and if it's really expensive - what's the best one you recommend that doesn't cost too much?

also can aftermarket rims cause bad ride quality? i notice on my stock 17" rims the ride quality is very smooth, but on my 18" amr rims mounted on sumitomos, it rides like crap. im worried though if i spend the money on new tires, and it still rides like crap, but is it probably the tires? or is it normal for aftermarket rims to not ride so nicely. its like i feel every small bump and my steering wheel goes with every bump and curve, even after i got an alignment like i said in my other thread

Last edited by rextos; 03-08-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:27 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I don't think it's the rims, so much as it is the 1" decrease in sidewall height.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
I don't think it's the rims, so much as it is the 1" decrease in sidewall height.
This plus consider each tires compound and handling characteristics.

Although you have to take most consumer-based ratings with a grain of salt, you can use them as a basis. Tirerack.com has a fair rating method. But be aware that an all season tire is nothing but a trade-off; mediocre performance all around. Best bet is to put a good performance tire on those 18's for warm weather and dedicated snows on the 17's for winter.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:44 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

Although you have to take most consumer-based ratings with a grain of salt, you can use them as a basis. Tirerack.com has a fair rating method. But be aware that an all season tire is nothing but a trade-off; mediocre performance all around. Best bet is to put a good performance tire on those 18's for warm weather and dedicated snows on the 17's for winter.
so when you say "performance tires", do you mean summer tires?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rextos
so when you say "performance tires", do you mean summer tires?
In generic terms, that is what it ends up meaning. Since a "performance tire" does poorly in colder temperatures, they are known as summer only tires. That does not mean they are created equal. And it is rather doubtful that you will notice any difference in straightline driving between different tires. Talking tire differences on a forum is quite difficult. Anyone will undoubtedly interpret what is said differently than what is intended. So, If you want handling capabilities, then a stiffer sidewall is part of that, and with that comes a harsher ride quality. An 18" passenger car tire is not made with a tall sidewall. So some harshness must be expected.

I see this type of dilemma at my shop every day. Some people overthink tires a bit too much. If all you want is good ride quality, then stick with all seasons. If you want some extra stick, then go for a performance tire. The trade off for a performance tire is a harsher ride due to its stiffer sidewalls, and lack of good traction in colder temperatures. And as the tire ages, it is possible to begin rumbling from cupping. The ability to tell the difference between a crappy tire and a good tire with the same "performance tire" ratings gets a bit blurry when people start shopping for tires based on their price, as you have already eluded to. With tires, you get what you pay for. If you cheap out at the register, odds are pretty good it will be a cheaply made tire, and you will end up being disappointed. I usually try to steer people towards the higher priced tires because of this. Not because I make more money, I don't. I make the same on a $70 tire vs a $170 tire, most shops do. With rebates, the more expensive tire is sometimes the same price or only slightly more than the cheapest ones. If you were standing in front of me, I would be asking plenty of questions as to whats important to you, and literally SHOW you the differences in tires that are considered all-seasons vs a better all season. All tires are black, round, and hold air. But their construction, design, and materials used can vary greatly.

So to throw a specific tire out there that you will probably be happy with: Pirelli PZero Nero(expensive), Cooper Zeon RS3-A(currently has a $60 rebate for a set of 4. Ends 4/15/16), Hankook Ventus Noble S1.

I have put a set of 17" Hankook H426 on a lady's 05 GT and she is tickled pink with them. They are probably the highest mileage tire out there and cheap to boot. Just don't try to outrun the police with them and expect to make every turn better than those Crown Vics. The speed rating on those tires were low too. Which is another factor when it comes to sidewall stiffness.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 03-09-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

^ that sir is a very good explanation.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

With 18" tire your gonna get a rougher ride just because there is less sidewall.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:43 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
very true; I replaced the 18" P Zero Neros on my 2012 with Firestone Firehawks, and the difference was immediately apparent. The Firehawks felt "squishier."
Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

SCCAGT knows his tires.

On my '05 GT I'm on my fourth set of tires, this time I'm using the Goodyear "Fierce Instinct" tire. They work for me, they are "All Season." One reason I chose them was that they are the "newer" Goodyear Eagle it appeared, which were my previous set, and another was they are designed to protect your wheel from meetings with the curb.

My last ride was a BMW set up for road racing, had it for 269k and used 30 sets of tires on it, Always got the high performance tire rated the best at the time. My suspension was super tight, never went to low sidewalls for that reason, ride quality would have gone all to pot! Had many friends that found that out, additionally low side wall protects not much from that nasty "pothole" out there, bent and broken wheels happened.

Lastly, I was told once that "performance" tires are cured soft, giving you the performance "stick" I wanted, however, every time you drive them, heat them up, they cure more, which gets them harder with time, and nosier, and less "stick." FWIW
Old 03-09-2016, 11:20 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Tires with excellent ride quality

I am a big Michelin fan. You might look on Tire Rack and check out the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.