Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3:73 gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Last I saw, motive was making most the parts, I thought someone had said even for FRPP.

From experience, THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the gears is the install. Go to a shop with experience, even if it cost a few dollars more. You should be all right with any name brand gear, the noise comes from the install. Dont get the shims right, DONT CRUSH THE RACE BEARING INTO A ROLLING RESISTANCE of the 13-18lbs or whatever (its been a while,) dont have the backlash right, you will hear noise. The bold is the the one that usually gets screwed up. Inexperienced techs go for the static resistance and the race is not crushed. Whine on decel after install.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:37 AM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

I am in northern nj.. Morris county. I gave a call to team jdm as per a referral from one of the guys in the thread. The guy i spoke to seemed real nice, and very knowledgable. I was going to take a ride there today for basically meet and greet, and work some details out, but it is miserable outside and my car doesnt work in the rain....lol... I am trying to find the "one" shop that my car will go to. Just want to find the right guy, who understands what i want and is willing to work with me. I will keep you guys posted. I plan on going to as many car shows and tracks this year to really try to educate myself at the same time....
Old 04-02-2016, 11:35 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Last I saw, motive was making most the parts, I thought someone had said even for FRPP.

From experience, THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the gears is the install. Go to a shop with experience, even if it cost a few dollars more. You should be all right with any name brand gear, the noise comes from the install. Dont get the shims right, DONT CRUSH THE RACE BEARING INTO A ROLLING RESISTANCE of the 13-18lbs or whatever (its been a while,) dont have the backlash right, you will hear noise. The bold is the the one that usually gets screwed up. Inexperienced techs go for the static resistance and the race is not crushed. Whine on decel after install.
I have motive 3.90's. A bit of whirrr on decel, light throttle. Would certainly be interested in a shop in CT who has a reputation for good gear install. Mine's not bad but I get not picky about things like this. Should be quiet regardless of brand. The gear manufacturing is pretty good these days. CNC equipment takes the guesswork out. It is the install for sure.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:14 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bstang14
I have motive 3.90's. A bit of whirrr on decel, light throttle. Would certainly be interested in a shop in CT who has a reputation for good gear install. Mine's not bad but I get not picky about things like this. Should be quiet regardless of brand. The gear manufacturing is pretty good these days. CNC equipment takes the guesswork out. It is the install for sure.
http://www.allproautomotive.com/

Call in, usually its Jeff answering the phones. Ask him if you can schedule some time for a rebuild with Steve as the tech (if he is still there.) Steve has experience with Mustang rear ends, as he and I ultimately rebuilt mine together, and everything worked great for years after, even under 536 rwhp. If you reference my Orange Mustang, he should know what were talking about. Steve's a racer himself, so he likes doing go-fast parts.