Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intakes? Don't think so.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:19 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

On the Steeda CAI, there's a really good seal to the inside of the hood. Below the "airbox" there's a chute that pokes out toward the front of the car. Not ram air per se, but if you watch your IATs on the center cluster display it's noticeably cooler moving than stopped at idle.

You can see a bit more information in the Round 1 link in my signature line. So far so good!
Old 07-19-2016, 04:36 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

On the Steeda CAI, there's a really good seal to the inside of the hood. Below the "airbox" there's a chute that pokes out toward the front of the car. Not ram air per se, but if you watch your IATs on the center cluster display it's noticeably cooler moving than stopped at idle.

You can see a bit more information in the Round 1 link in my signature line. So far so good!
Appreciate the support & feedback ... there is always going to be the debate & conversation regarding the CAI - to some, it is not worth the investment & to others ... they see the benefits.

Appreciate the feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-19-2016, 04:37 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate the support & feedback ... there is always going to be the debate & conversation regarding the CAI - to some, it is not worth the investment & to others ... they see the benefits.

Appreciate the feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 AM
iiiiiiijklmm

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Well, I had my 08 GT dyno'd stock and then right after with a k&n cai. I gained a whopping 3hp with the cai over stock. So, was it a gain, yes. Was it a noticeable gain, maybe to some.
Did you notice any difference in MPG's?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:41 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iiiiiiijklmm
Did you notice any difference in MPG's?
I was able to avg 28mpg with the k&n intake.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
They're not ram air
I think what he means is that doing comparisons of various intakes on a stationary dyno, with the hood up and a giant fan blowing on the front of the car biases the results to make the 'CAI' look better when performing against stock intakes.

The reason is because instead of the open air CAI being forced to grab air from the hot engine compartment, where it would normally grab it from in everyday driving, it's allowed to grab fresh cool air. A stock intake will always grab from the same location (behind the bumper in the fender well so the air temps there are more stable regardless of the hood being open or not.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Machfive916

Originally Posted by cavediver
i have an Airaid CAI and FRPP tune and I'm very happy with the performance improvements. That being said, even if I had ZERO performance improvements from it I would still be very happy with it because of the huge improvement in the SOUND of my Mustang. That sweet "whoosh" you hear when you hit the throttle is worth every penny I spent on it!
I agree with CAVEDIVER. "Even if I had ZERO performance improvements from it I would still be very happy with it because of the huge improvement in the SOUND of my Mustang. That sweet "whoosh" you hear when you hit the throttle is worth every penny I spent on it!"

My car is bone stock except for the Airaid CAI and an MBRP catback exhaust.