Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Fluid & Wipers Won't Turn Off - 2008 GT

Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 PM
S197 GT
1st Gear Member

Default Windshield Washer Fluid & Wipers Won't Turn Off - 2008 GT

So I just encountered a problem today with my 2008 Mustang GT that I've never seen before. I looked around for a while online for a thread that might have a similar issue, but none were the same situation.

When I turn the car on or even just to to the ON position, the washer fluid sprays non-stop and the wipers continuously wipe.

What I have tried:
-Pulling fuse under the hood and putting back in
-Pulling fuse in passenger footwell fuse box and putting it back in
-Disconnecting battery for a few minutes and reconnecting

I do not see a relay that corresponds to either component, but maybe I'm overlooking something?
Messing with the wiper controls does nothing. It does not change the speed of the wipers or stop them from wiping.

I resorted to pulling the electrical connector off the washer fluid pump and pulling the fuse for the wipers so I could actually drive. Any suggestions as to what I could do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by S197 GT
So I just encountered a problem today with my 2008 Mustang GT that I've never seen before. I looked around for a while online for a thread that might have a similar issue, but none were the same situation.

When I turn the car on or even just to to the ON position, the washer fluid sprays non-stop and the wipers continuously wipe.

What I have tried:
-Pulling fuse under the hood and putting back in
-Pulling fuse in passenger footwell fuse box and putting it back in
-Disconnecting battery for a few minutes and reconnecting

I do not see a relay that corresponds to either component, but maybe I'm overlooking something?
Messing with the wiper controls does nothing. It does not change the speed of the wipers or stop them from wiping.

I resorted to pulling the electrical connector off the washer fluid pump and pulling the fuse for the wipers so I could actually drive. Any suggestions as to what I could do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
The circuit is probably shorted to ground somewhere, owners manual will have a layout of the fuses in the engine bay and the passenger side kick panel (SJB).

Here's the SJB layout

http://blog.autopartscheaper.com/wp-...13/01/sjb2.jpg

Fuse F2.3
Old 06-09-2016, 07:35 PM
S197 GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
The circuit is probably shorted to ground somewhere, owners manual will have a layout of the fuses in the engine bay and the passenger side kick panel (SJB).

Here's the SJB layout

http://blog.autopartscheaper.com/wp-...13/01/sjb2.jpg

Fuse F2.3
This may be a long shot, but do you (or anyone else) happen to know where the ground is for that? I'll be working on fixing it tomorrow.

Could it be possible that the switch is stuck in the on position? That's something else I was thinking about since both the fluid and wipers come on, not just one or the other.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:30 PM
S197 GT
1st Gear Member

I found another thread with a similar issue where water had gotten to the wiper motor. It could potentially mess up the connector (corrosion) or the actual electronics of the motor.

I will follow up on this later.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:51 PM
S197 GT
1st Gear Member

Well, I went and started my car today to move it to a shaded area to work under. During the 30 second drive, I found out that the wipers lost 100% functionality (fuse was put back in) and the A/C shut off after about 20 seconds. That was followed by a nice electrical burning smell coming into the cab from the engine compartment. Sure enough, fuse is blown in the SJB (blower motor and wiper motor fuse). I'm not worried about it though as my aim was to remove the wiper motor before anything else.

Took off my wiper cowls and wipers with the help of a puller. This is what I found the driver side drain looking like.

Windshield Washer Fluid & Wipers Won't Turn Off - 2008 GT-20160613_172137.jpg

Got that all cleaned off and put back in.

As I'm doing this, I can see small amount of smoke coming out of the wiper motor. Wouldn't you know it, water got past the rubber seal and into the wiper motor.

Windshield Washer Fluid & Wipers Won't Turn Off - 2008 GT-20160613_173903.jpg

And here is what the electrical board looks like after a little contact with water and burn.

Windshield Washer Fluid & Wipers Won't Turn Off - 2008 GT-20160613_173929.jpg

One connector, which I assume is the ground, has corrosion on it, but that is easy enough to clean off.

Windshield Washer Fluid & Wipers Won't Turn Off - 2008 GT-20160613_173500.jpg

I have a practically new motor on the way. $30 shipped off eBay with only 3 miles on the motor from LKQ. Once I replace the motor and fuse, all should be well. Hopefully this helps anyone who runs into this issue in the future. I love my Mustang, but I don't love Ford at the moment for the poor design.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:57 PM
S197 GT
1st Gear Member

Oh and I'll also be adding some dielectric grease when reinstalling. I don't anticipate this happening again since I'll be checking the drain plugs more often though.

I'd recommend you check yours as well if you're reading this. There is one on the driver and passenger side. They can be taken out without removing the wiper cowls. Driver side is right by the rear of the cam cover. Passenger side is below the cam cover closer to the exhaust manifold. Do this when the car is cooled off to eliminate the risk of burning yourself.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Glad you figured it out, sucks about the motor but at least you didn't get what most people get, a soaked passenger side foot well.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:21 PM
S197 GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Glad you figured it out, sucks about the motor but at least you didn't get what most people get, a soaked passenger side foot well.
Thanks! When I first got the car, the passenger side actually had that problem. Luckily I caught it prior to it causing any damage thanks to the abundance of threads covering that.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Bob Stegemann

Default Root cause of wiper motor running continuously

Folks,
Daughter's 2010 Mustang had this issue. Read the forums and tried disconnecting the multi-function switch, motor still runs.
Removed the windshield wipers and motor assembly and found water in the plug and wiper motor controller that is integral to the wiper motor. Tried to dry it out and warm it up only changed symptoms. Changed out for new Motorcraft part now all is good. FYI, note there is a drain located just below the wiper motor to drain rain water from the area. My drain was clogged with leaves and I had a definite water line around the area. Don't just change the motor without checking the drain.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:06 PM
csrMark

Default this is probably the reason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Fluid & Wipers Won't Turn Off - 2008 GT