Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed state inspection x2 Ft Worth TX

Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM
nosyaj

Default Failed state inspection x2 Ft Worth TX

Hello all,

I own a 2014 Mustang GT with the Boss 302 H-pipe, Roush axle back*exhaust, and a Steeda CAI with a Brenspeed tune and I took her last week and today to get the state inspection done and it failed in two areas for the o2 sensors.

I've been reading around and have been talking to the guys at Brenspeed and was told that my o2 sensors were actually not turned off but are on in my tune, so I decided to reinstall the stock box and run the stock tune.

I drove the car around for a while and went back to the inspection station to rerun their test and it failed again on both the o2 sensors.

I decided to go to the stealership and ask them what was up and the service guy I spoke to told me that it is known with aftermarket exhausts to throw the o2 sensors off because of air flow. His recommendation was to install the stock midpipe and*exhaust*and redo the inspection.....welp I don't have those pieces any longer.

I was wondering if any of you guys have encountered this situation?

I don't know if this is a question allowed to be asked, but does anyone know any inspection stations that do not test for emissions in the dfw area? or any shops that would pass my vehicle?

Thanks for any input,
Jayson
Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Hey Jayson,
If it was less then 100 miles after you installed the factory tune, or a series of events that need to occur to put the computer in a ready state you can fail.

Are you throwing any codes? If not its more likely readiness. You should ask Brenspeed if they can get you an emission friendly tune. Sounds like they say the rear O2s are working, tell them about the fails and ask if there is anything they can adjust to make the car happy.

Another option, get the defoulers. They screw into your o2 and move the sensors them-self out of the flow path a little bit.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Hey Jayson,
If it was less then 100 miles after you installed the factory tune, or a series of events that need to occur to put the computer in a ready state you can fail.

Are you throwing any codes? If not its more likely readiness. You should ask Brenspeed if they can get you an emission friendly tune. Sounds like they say the rear O2s are working, tell them about the fails and ask if there is anything they can adjust to make the car happy.

Another option, get the defoulers. They screw into your o2 and move the sensors them-self out of the flow path a little bit.
The anti foulers won't work on the 5.0 the PCM is too smart.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:24 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

OK, so, did you follow the Ford Driving cycle to ensure all sensors were ready prior going back? Although, I am not sure if you would get a "ready" code with your Boss 302 H pipe. I got me an Innova 3040 ScanTool that tells when my sensors are "ready" prior stepping in for inspection. Some sensor will not activate unless you follow the driving cycle. http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html
Old 07-01-2016, 11:15 AM
nosyaj

Hello everyone,

Okay so I am at over 200 miles since I reset to stock tune and to everyone yes I have completed the ford drive cycle. I went in a third time and I failed again for both o2 sensors. This is super frustrating.

I went to the ford dealership and left it over night telling them I have only done mid pipe and axle back aftermarket parts.

They just called back and the technician said the o2 sensors are turning on and off and he said he had seen this happen multiple times and his reasoning was because of the aftermarket parts. He told me if I installed the stock parts it will pass.

So again...I do not have the stock parts. I emailed brenspeed when I had 75 miles post reset and they recommended 200 miles plus so I just shot them an updated email to see if the can write something.

I am running the 302 h pipe wide open so I am thinking of putting the restrictor plates in and maybe taking off the axle back and running the pipes open. Do yall think that will change anything?

I was going to try the anti fouler trick until, that guy said it doesn't work so that's out of the window.

If yall can think of anything else that'd be great. Seems kinda ridiculous that all these mega tuned cars can get away with this and I can't even pass with an effing axle back exhaust lol....

Thanks,
Jayson
Old 07-01-2016, 12:26 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Register your car in Oklahoma. We don't have inspections and you don't have to have a front plate. Win Win. You can just drive around with an Okie plate and Texas can't touch you.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:06 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nosyaj
I am running the 302 h pipe wide open so I am thinking of putting the restrictor plates in and maybe taking off the axle back and running the pipes open. Do yall think that will change anything?
YES!!!! That makes it a near open exhaust. Put the restrictors in and try again. Worst you waste is the test fee, best you gain is that's easy vs complete return to stock.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:44 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

It's the hpipe it's allowing to much oxygen back in to the sensors throwing off the readings. I'm surprised you don't have codes though. Cat efficiency usually comes up pretty quick in that situation.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:09 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I wonder if he reads the DTC even with out the offical light, if it has a logged event that caused a not ready? Doesnt hurt to read DTC and see
Old 07-01-2016, 10:38 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

It may log a code but if the lights not on its like short term memory once you turn the car off the code is gone until the PCM tries that test again. But something seems off. With the plugs open I'm 99% sure it's the extra O2 coming in throwing of the readings. But it should hard code for catalyst efficiency. I can go unhook x pipe now and get a code within minutes. Something seems off with the tune or sensors to me. And just because the sensors are switching on a scanner doesn't mean they are functioning. Also I'm hung up on the sensor and heater issue. The extra O2 may have had a cooling effect cause the heated probe in the sensor to burn out attempting to get up to operating temp which is now leaving it in open loop. I just don't think there's much else we can do to help this guy until he plugs a scanner up and looks for codes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failed state inspection x2 Ft Worth TX