Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car acted weird suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 04:44 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default car acted weird suddenly

After getting gas (half tank) i made a right at the light and stepped on it alittle when the car pointed straight. Everything went fine until i reached around 60mph i felt a wobble at passenger front wheel as if it was out of round but when i pulled over there were nothing wrong with the wheel or tire. It happened so quick but it didnt feel like it was the engine, no engine light or anything after i pulled over.

Any ideas? I had traction off

Last edited by winkawak; 07-11-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:15 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

pothole? jack the car up by the lift points and check the front suspension for play, lower ball joints going bad and getting loose is common. if they are loose, it requires lower control arm replacement.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:03 AM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
pothole? jack the car up by the lift points and check the front suspension for play, lower ball joints going bad and getting loose is common. if they are loose, it requires lower control arm replacement.
No pothole, I did get the car on ramp and everything seems fine. I was thinking if it could of been a dip on the road but the wobble feel is very different from a pothole or imperfection on the road. I tried to recreate the scenario and it never did it again. Advancetrac was second possible guess but it should of been more of a braking feel than a wobble. It happened during acceleration, transmission or engine wouldnt cause one specific corner of the car to feel wobbly would it?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

it shouldnt
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

You've had a small episode of the turning, throttle-punch advancetrak freakout. Happened twice on 2012 but, has not happened yet on my 2014. It was quite violent on the 2012 when it occurred. I pulled over, reset everything and good to go, though.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:12 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
You've had a small episode of the turning, throttle-punch advancetrak freakout. Happened twice on 2012 but, has not happened yet on my 2014. It was quite violent on the 2012 when it occurred. I pulled over, reset everything and good to go, though.
What did it feel like when your advancetrac kicked in?
I remembered when i went to brake lightly it felt abit rough/bumpy as if rotor/brake caliper were hitting something and this is all happening at front passenger wheel that i felt wobble.

I was thinking if its possible if it was advancetrac kicking in would it cause the wobble i felt? maybe passenger front brake was locked up while going 60mph and caused wobble/shake?

Last edited by winkawak; 07-12-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:10 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

My advance track freaked out once, I think, and if felt as though someone was turning the steering wheel back and forth slightly, yet the wheel was straight. It was right after a left turn when I started to get on it coming out of the turn. Alarmed me enough to lift up on the pedal. It went away and didn't come back.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sounds more like just the EPAS and its built-in active nibble control and drift-pull compensation "features". The same things that made for a visible-on-video-steering-wheel-shimmy level of bad behavior with the earlier EPAS years when you swapped to stiffer front LCA bushings.

Norm
Old 07-17-2016, 12:13 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Just to be on the safe side, check the tops of your shock towers and be sure there's no damage or rotting bushings. But the good news is that's it's probably just a freaked out electronic gizmo and unlikely to return.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:49 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Sounds more like just the EPAS and its built-in active nibble control and drift-pull compensation "features". The same things that made for a visible-on-video-steering-wheel-shimmy level of bad behavior with the earlier EPAS years when you swapped to stiffer front LCA bushings.

Norm
My steering wheel was fine just front passenger wheel that i felt wobble and shake. Im starting to think it was advancetrac too but not sure why it caused wobble/shake.

Quick Reply: car acted weird suddenly