Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Viscosity Values: Royal Purple and Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:38 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Viscosity Values: Royal Purple and Mobil 1

Doing some good research into the oil I will be putting into my cars (2005 Mustang GT, 2005 Ford F-150 (5.4), and 2015 Mazda CX-5) from here on out. I have been using Royal Purple SAE and HPS 5w-20 in my mustang for about 4 years now. Have had no problems with it, but after talking to a coworker and doing some deeper research I think I could be doing better.
-----------------------------------
From the Royal Purple Website (kinematic viscosity values):

SAE 5W-20 = 48.8 cSt @ 40°C (104°F)

HPS 5W-20 = 47.3 cSt @ 40°C (104°F)
-----------------------------------
From Mobil 1 Website (kinematic viscosity values)(Full Synthetic):

AFS 5W-20 = 49.8 cSt @ 40°C (104°F) & 8.9 cSt @ 100°C (212°F)
----------------------------------
Up front these numbers would tell me that, as far as at 40C (104F) that the mobil 1 is slightly more viscous, which IMO would translate to better wear protection. MPG differences IMO are negligible here.

Sources:

RP SAE 5W-20
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/a...%20GHS_ENG.pdf

RP HPS 5W-20
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/a...%20GHS_ENG.pdf

Mobil 1 AFS 5W-20
http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_5W-20.aspx

This thread will be followed up with my research into different weights for the 3 said vehicles as protection for hot days and cool winter nights has become a concern of mine. i am aware people will say "run what is in owners manual", but after you see the numbers that come up, you might think a little differently. I am trying to find an ideal weight oil for each vehicle that can be used year round for optimum cold and hot protection. It is my understanding that some of these recommended oil weights are for CAFE reqs and thus need to be hashed out. If you don't agree with this that is fine but this thread and the following thread may help someone with the way they see oil. I just want the best for my vehicles just like many of you. Opinions run rampant about oil and these threads will conclude with my opinion based on information from cited sources. Cited sources being the website of the company selling the product.

Disclaimer: My research will be done between RY and mobil 1 for this thread. Mobil 1 is the oil I will be changing to for all three of my vehicles. It costs ~half as much and from values does just as good a job. My next thread will focus on the weights of mobil 1 that will be chosen for each vehicle.

Last edited by cema93; 07-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:09 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I've used Mobil 1 for 20 years on several different cars and it never let me down.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:53 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I've been using synthetics for better than 30 years I reckon. In CA I used Red Line 20-50 and when I had my engine built the machinist recommended "Tufoil" which I've been using in all my rides for I'm guessing 20 years. Just ordered a quart yesterday. I became convinced that the 20-50 was not the way to go. I've been using Amsoil 0W-20 and 6 ounces "Tufoil" since '05 and just turned about 77.5k miles in the GT. My BMW was retired at 269k still running like new after I used up 29 sets of tires in my wild mountain driving days. My '89 GMC 4.3 liter 4x4 was retired at 238k miles last year. Still doing great, engine great, but "plastic" things were giving up, along with the digital dashboard. -( for about its last 120k miles it was fed Amsoil 10w-30 and 4 ounces "Tufoil"

What I wanted to say here, is that Amsoil and "Tufoil" works just fine. At one time on the GMC I used an "extended life" Mobil 1 product. I'm sure that my consumption of oil was greater with the "Mobil 1" whereas with Amsoil I could see 8k miles go by with out too much useage. Granted the GMC was making about a 50 mile per day commute, with very little "stop and go" in the mix. FWIW
Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

When i did my first oil change for my 13 gt using mobil 1 full syn it would get engine ticks right after and stay for the first couple hundred miles or so before its gone. On the third oil change i switched to pennz oil full syn and it never ticked again. I did a oil change recently a week ago and still no ticks, im guessing not oils are made equal.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

I used to use tufoil a long time ago. Now just M1 5w-20 like the book calls for. I had an uncle who worked for a major aircraft engine manufacturer from the 60's through the 80's. Piston engines and turbines. He said they tested every additive ever made and found no significant advantages over synthetic oils.

As for red line 20w-50, great in my air cooled HD vtwin but way too heavy for modern auto engines.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cema93
Disclaimer: My research will be done between RY and mobil 1 for this thread. Mobil 1 is the oil I will be changing to for all three of my vehicles. It costs ~half as much and from values does just as good a job. My next thread will focus on the weights of mobil 1 that will be chosen for each vehicle.
Why not just keep all of your research together here?

It would be appropriate to provide the range of temperatures that you typically have to cope with, as would a brief description of the kinds of driving each of your vehicles is put to.

What are you hoping to find out? Are you going to have oil samples analyzed?

And FWIW, on the advice of somebody who was closer to the development of these engines than most of us could ever have been, I won't use anything lighter than 5W30 in mine even in street-only service (mine does get driven on road courses, and driven for about all she's worth when she's out there). Motorcraft full synthetic, if it matters.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-17-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I think the 5w-20 oil that most domestics recommend has to do with the lower Coefficient of friction that it offers at temp over the 5w-30 (i.e. 5w-20 affords slightly better fuel mileage) because it is thinner at the same higher temps than the 5w-30. For Arizona it's just plain stupid to use 5w-20 for most of the year, 5w-30 or 5w-50 is the way to go.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:15 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

That is kinda what i was wanting to hear. I am wanting to go to 5W-30 without any adverse effects. From what I have read and seen, i was hoping to be correct that 5w-30 was a better choice than 5w-20 as far aas protection goes. mpg isnt a big concern
Old 07-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

5w-30 full synthetic, you'll be fine. BTW here's ford official lubricant guide.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...f/oilchart.pdf

Notice how a 5.0 without track pack they suggest 5w-20 but with the track pack they suggest 5w-50? Identical motor just the options are different.

For the GT500 they recommend 5w-50.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:22 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

If that is true, which it is, then would that not put to bed the arguement of "low tolerances" in our engine. I am aware of oil's role in varying the valve timing but a lot of the comments i have read say no to different oil weights due to "tight tolerances". it cannot be that big of a deal if they say run 5w-20 regularly and 5w-50 if its under a lot of stress.

Quick Reply: Oil Viscosity Values: Royal Purple and Mobil 1