Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to patch up my mustang. (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM
AceOfRaven

Talking Best way to patch up my mustang. (PICS)

Hi all! I am doing research on how to fix up the little things that have sullied my mustang's image. I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys!

My first thought was to get a full paint job but after doing some research I do not think that is what I need. Now I am thinking auto-body shop. Have you guys had experience with this sort of thing? Is there something I am not thinking of.

To be clear I am trying to clear up my headlights and paint job to make her look new again.

Thank you guys for any and all advice.

P.S. I am in the San Antonio TX area.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Those headlights look like they are past the point of fixing, but the paint doesn't look too bad. I'd say a good pass with rubbing compound, polishing compound and wax will do the trick.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 PM
AceOfRaven

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Those headlights look like they are past the point of fixing, but the paint doesn't look too bad. I'd say a good pass with rubbing compound, polishing compound and wax will do the trick.
Uh oh haha. I was hoping not to replace the headlights.

I did some more research and found that toothpaste can be used on some scratches. I tried it and worked really well. not perfect but well enough.

I think I am going to call a few detail shops in the area and see what they can do for me.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:24 PM
AceOfRaven

Would anyone here know of a good detail shop in the San Antonio area? It looks like some of them repair paint and some don't.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:58 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by AceOfRaven

I did some more research and found that toothpaste can be used on some scratches. I tried it and worked really well. not perfect but well enough.

So what to you use to brush your teeth then?

After market ones are cheap... Mr Bodykit has them for $120 a pair and $99 for the fog. So roughly, $220 will get you brand new lights up front.
If you don't have the budget to swing that dough, you can always use spray on tint on them to conceal the heavy cracks.
As for the paint surfaces, as long as the clear coat isn't cracked or chipped you can bring it back to a decent shine.
The little felt sticking out of the roofline molding is typical to the 05/09 body style...just trim it off with a box cutter.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:09 PM
AceOfRaven

Thank you I would have cut it off before but I was afraid it would leak or something. I will also have to check out that website.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

as far as the stuff sticking out of the door trim, its actually a gasket that has gone bad. you can pull the rubber window gasket down, take the screws out and that piece will come out. you can buy the oem gasket for both sides, I think they are about 65$ or so each. I went the cheap route and went to HD and got a roll of camper shell gasket for pickup trucks. 30' for 10$. painted the side black and made my own gaskets. hardest part was getting the old gasket and adhesive off, used goof off and a lot of elbow grease. since your headlight and fogs are so bad, you can use 1500 or 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get the heavy oxidation off, then use a scratch remover paste to buff them out. that works pretty good but youll have to do it more often as the uv coating is gone. as already mentioned, try some good polish for the paint. good luck
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I had new tires installed on my '05 GT at my local Ford dealer. Sadly I was awarded with a badly marred/gouged wheel. Turned out the dealer has a guy that comes by almost weekly and repairs those things. Wheel looked brand new. Still does.

I had a few mars/scratches on my Screaming Yellow '05 GT and I circled back to ask him about doing the same to my wee mars. Turns out the dealer has a fellow that comes in almost weekly to touch up cars for their used car business. My mars/scratches nearly disappeared for about $40 > $50.

Just a thought.

Last edited by algregory; 07-18-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:04 PM
AceOfRaven

I will definitely try a quick call to my local dealer and see if they can do that for me. I will also be looking into getting the gasket repaired. Thank you both.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Comments above are all good. Just get new lights, buff the paint and the little black things sticking our of the window comes off easily. You might be surprised how much you can bring a car back with just a few simple steps

Quick Reply: Best way to patch up my mustang. (PICS)