Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What made you want your mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:24 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Grew up in the age of the muscle cars in the 60's-70's & loved them all. My faves were the Chevelle, Camaro and Mustang. Vettes were way out of even dreaming about.

Finally got my first muscle car, a '78 Z28, in '82. Stepped up to an '88 LX 5.0 & never looked back. 7 Stangs later & I still love them. Some were more crudely built than others but I won't utter a bad word about any.

I traded my '14 GT track pack this year to get back into an S197 version because I missed the broad shouldered, square bodied stance. Ended up finding a low mileage '09 GT500 in the proper & traditional Ford white w/blue stripes. Some warned me about stepping backwards but I have zero regrets. IMHO, the '05-09 S197's were the last, best looking muscle car built in America. I ain't hatin' on the current gen Stang, Camaro or Dodge products but way too much tech for me.

I will, more than likely, never buy another new car. It's not that I can't afford it but I truly dislike how nanny-based tech help drive the vehicle to make you a "safer" driver, not to forget all the monitoring devices on modern cars. I have little doubt that at some point, all that data that's being collected can & will be used against you by govt. authorities & the insurance industry.

Bottom line, the Stang reminds me of my more youthful driving days. It's good looking & offers power & performance at a true bang for the buck, even if it's not the latest & greatest.
Lee
Old 08-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I too came up through the original muscle car/ponycar era, but have always been oriented more toward sports cars and cornering than outright muscle and straight lines. Under different life circumstances, I'd have probably picked my first new car from the Boss 302, Z/28, Dodge's Challenger T/A, and Plymouth's AAR Cuda. But putting myself through school (structural engineering) during the late 1960's put any possibility of that plan on indefinite hold.

More than anything else, it's been the S197's chassis and its potential for further development that got me wanting one, and is what still keeps me happy with it 8 years and change later. I never did get to drive any of the above Trans-Am oriented cars, but my "Boss 281" would show them all the quick way around a road course while still being better as just a normal car.

Like Lee (above), I'm thankful that my '08 is not as over-nannied or over-featured as the more recent year cars have become. So I guess everything came together at the right time after all. A wife who was more than just supportive of the idea to get it in the first place (and understanding of the modifications), getting to the stage of life where one car in the driveway could go back to being a 2-door 2+2, and the realization that the car itself had come full-circle to what I'd missed out on almost 40 years previously . . . but even better.

I'd always bought cars that were fun to drive - anything not actively fun to drive = something not purchased - so my '08 GT wasn't a midlife crisis reward car in that sense.

Norm
Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

This guy:

Name:  bullitt_zpsxz7lcwb3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  60.3 KB
Old 08-15-2016, 01:36 PM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

your mom
Old 08-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

What the mustang stands for. Go watch "A Faster Mustang" on netflix. Best hour and half you could possibly spend today. Made me cry.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by paul_g

This guy:

And this was the other guy:

Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
And this was the other guy:

I would have not given kudos's to Nick Cage, but according to IMDB, he really did most of the driving... Ok, I'm down with that...

But Steve McQueen rules...
Old 08-16-2016, 10:36 PM
KYtrooper

My first reply here. I've had a 2004 Mustang GT, a 2006 GTO, a 2009 G8 GT and finally just bought a 2012 Mustang GT. IT is an amazing car! The 5.0 really impressed me when I test drove it.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:32 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty
What the mustang stands for. Go watch "A Faster Mustang" on netflix. Best hour and half you could possibly spend today. Made me cry.
It's actually called "A Faster Horse."

And yes, awesome little movie, it was pretty cool.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:56 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by paul_g
I would have not given kudos's to Nick Cage, but according to IMDB, he really did most of the driving... Ok, I'm down with that...

But Steve McQueen rules...
Nick Cage didn't do any of the more dangerous stunts, though that long jump on the bridge over the transporter was awesome even if the landing was edited. Eleanor did inspire me to buy my first Mustang back in 2007 but the dream had already started in my childhood after watching Bullitt. That iconic car chase with McQueen pursuing the villains in their Dodge Charger is still one of the best movie car chases of all time. The racy engine sound emanating from the GT390 still makes my hair stand on end. Jacqueline Bisset, who played Frank Bullitt's girlfriend, was pretty tasty too.

Quick Reply: What made you want your mustang?