Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by TRamsdell
wanna see my PHD in fluid dynamics?
That's just...metal!

Man, I take a few days off and pow!

Last edited by Nomad8888; 10-01-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:36 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Could both sides of the discussion agree to the following:
On a " stock " motor, the factory air box / CAI is all that is needed. A stock motor can gain some hp & torque with just a tune.
On a " modded " motor, the stock CAI would be a choke point, posing a restriction.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

I kinda look at it this way I could be totally wrong, but this is how I see it. There are a lot of guys out there that want to make their cars their own. They want to modify and change and make it fast and cool and that's just what a lot of dudes do. I can relate. Thing is though, this opens the door to a LOT of retailers to sell them a bunch of crap. It's kind of like the junk aisle at the auto parts store. You know exactly the one I'm talking about. The one that sells the double windshield washer arms, purple mood lights, and the stick on hood scoops. In my book, stuff like CAI and catch cans are just more expensive items that would be found in the same aisle.

Oh, I posted this in other forums, so if you run across it, yeah, that's me.

Last edited by Nomad8888; 10-01-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Had to remove the word: "vagina."
Old 10-02-2016, 04:09 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nomad8888
stuff like CAI and catch cans are just more expensive items that would be found in the same aisle.
I made my own oil catch can for the passenger side at a fraction of the cost of a JLT version (see photo). These were the raw materials that I used:

1 x 220g baking soda tin
1 x Scotch Brite scouring pad placed inside tin
1 x 3/8" valve cover breather filter
2 x 3/8" brass fittings epoxied to lid of tin
1 x 3/8" vacuum hose
2 x small hose clamps

I'm still running a breather alone on the driver's side valve cover since that hardly ever needs cleaning.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Nomad8888;8561244]I kinda look at it this way I could be totally wrong, but this is how I see it. There are a lot of guys out there that want to make their cars their own. They want to modify and change and make it fast and cool and that's just what a lot of dudes do. I can relate. Thing is though, this opens the door to a LOT of retailers to sell them a bunch of crap. It's kind of like the junk aisle at the auto parts store. You know exactly the one I'm talking about. The one that sells the double windshield washer arms, purple mood lights, and the stick on hood scoops. In my book, stuff like CAI and catch cans are just more expensive items that would be found in the same aisle.
.[QUOTE=Nomad8888;8561244]

Maybe CAI's & air / oil separators, would be a waste on money on a performance vehicle such as yours.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Have you been driving your car on cobblestone roads all of its life?
Mine's still as solid as a bank vault with no rattles or squeaks, and the engine's butter smooth with no noises other than the normal clicking of the injectors at idle when the hood's open.
Yup, that's called living in the third world. Roads are crap.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nomad8888
I kinda look at it this way I could be totally wrong, but this is how I see it. There are a lot of guys out there that want to make their cars their own. They want to modify and change and make it fast and cool and that's just what a lot of dudes do. I can relate. Thing is though, this opens the door to a LOT of retailers to sell them a bunch of crap. It's kind of like the junk aisle at the auto parts store. You know exactly the one I'm talking about. The one that sells the double windshield washer arms, purple mood lights, and the stick on hood scoops. In my book, stuff like CAI and catch cans are just more expensive items that would be found in the same aisle.

Oh, I posted this in other forums, so if you run across it, yeah, that's me.
On the catch can I have to disagree. Mine gets full of oil pretty fast, but then again I track the car. Maybe on a daily driver it wouldn't matter, but lap after lap at redline sure blows a lot of oil up into the intake. I imagine it's even more on forced induction. But, even though I bought catch cans for both sides only the drivers side gets any oil so you can safely skip the passenger side one and save some money.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Caballo2011

Default Like your approach

Hey Man, I'm a new Mustang enthusiast. Got me a good deal on a 2011 GT 5.0 with less than 34,000 last November. I'm not a track racer, just want to have fun. I've been researching a little bit and found out that CAI are not worth it. So far I put flowmaster mufflers and a K&N filter. According to your details all I need is a good tuner. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
It depends on how restrictive the stock airbox and intake pipe are in the first place, and how well designed is the aftermarket CAI. Some aftermarket CAIs have a filter that's so small that it flows less air than the stock airbox, and others don't have a heatshield to prevent the filter from inhaling hot underhood air. If you want a CAI, be careful which one you choose. Many are indeed a waste of money.
Regardless, most of the HP gain comes from the tune and if you increase the size of the pipe that the MAF sensor sits in, you definitely need a tune to reset the MAF transfer curve. In 2010+ GT models and all V6 models, I'd just install a drop-in K&N filter and get a custom tune.
There are plenty of other "snake oil" products that are claimed to add HP or improve fuel economy when all they really do is lighten your wallet. The following really take the cake:

Throttle body spacer
Tornado & Turbonator air intakes
Fuel magnetizer
Electric supercharger

On our Mustangs you could also add aftermarket COPs, shorty headers, and axleback exhausts to the list unless you want the latter only for the sound.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have tried both the UPR catch can and the JLT catch can on my 2006 GT. The UPR can is far superior-catches a lot more oil. Comes with OE Ford type connectors , makes installation clean and easy.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:22 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Caballo2011
According to your details all I need is a good tuner. Any recommendations?
My picks would be Brenspeed or Lito.

Quick Reply: CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit