Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/05 fuel filter screwup

Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 AM
gpphillips

Default Help w/05 fuel filter screwup

First off, Hello to all I am new to this site. I have a '05 V6 4.0L stang that I was changing the fuel filter on.

In my stupidnest doing my fuel filter change out, I used a screw driver to pry up on the locking tabs and broke not just 1 but both of them. I forgot that you must use a fuel line release tool that slides over the tube and pull back to remove the line connector. Mine does not have the push button clip like shown in the fourth photo of http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-fuelfilter-0510.html . It is like the first 3 photos. Please does anybody have a part number for either a OEM or aftermarket replacement filter clip.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:40 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

that clip is part of the plastic line, you will have to replace the line to fix it correctly. call the dealer to be sure, but i have seen this before and it always required line replacement
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM
gpphillips

I am afraid that is what the local ford dealer will say. I just can't believe they would not have a separate p/n for the clip. Over time the plastic gets brittle and could break by themselves. Its just in this case it is MY fault it broke. There are many replacement clips out there for other cars but just can't find on listed for the 05-10 mustangs. The Dorman 800-021 looks to be the closest but it doesn't list the size of them and no parts store has them to see.

I was hoping that I am not the only one that did this oops and learned the hard way.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Who cares what they'll say. The 05+ doesn't require a special tool. You just need to press the two green clips together on the connector to release the fuel filter. It's a bit tough because of the snug fit and no room to work with.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:58 PM
gpphillips

Derf00, what I ment by "I am afraid that is what the local ford dealer will say" is that in order to get 2 new clips I must buy both sides of the fuel line which is part of ford p/n 9J279.

I was just hoping that I am not the only person to screw up such a easy maintenance job and might have OEM or After market part numbers for the clips.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:06 PM
gpphillips

Derf00, plus by the way my filter does need the use of a fuel line release tool to remove the line. I am not sure when they changed it over to the one that you press the tab in to release the connector. See the photo's in the link of my original post by American Muscle.

To all, Any help on this matter is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 09-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by gpphillips
Derf00, plus by the way my filter does need the use of a fuel line release tool to remove the line. I am not sure when they changed it over to the one that you press the tab in to release the connector. See the photo's in the link of my original post by American Muscle.

To all, Any help on this matter is GREATLY appreciated!
Then you have an oddity. 05+ all use the identical filter and have green release tabs. Even the American Muscles link you provided reflects that.

As far as the parts are concerned. You can go to fordparts.com and look them up yourself. You'll get a parts explosion with what's available so you'll see if they offer the clips separately. From what I see, they don't and those lines are not cheap.

Do yourself a favor if the dealer doesn't offer them by themselves, when looking up the parts, Make certain you have selected Autonation White Bear Lake Ford. Best Ford parts pricing I've seen. Better than Tasca and 99% of the other websites out there.

Last edited by Derf00; 09-27-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:41 PM
JimC

I'm not sure you are accurate Derfoo. My 2006 had a different connection from my friend's 2005 when we did the fuel filter swaps.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:26 AM
gpphillips

Ifyou look closely in the America Muscle pictures the first three is what I have.The clip is tight to the connector and you must use a fuel line release tool toget them off. DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER LIKE I DID. The 4th picture shows a bigsquare green button that you push to release the connector from the filter. Iasked my friend who has the same 05 V-6 and that is what he has. It baffled methat ford would use 2 different clips.

I went to 2 forddealers to get the "Sorry but you must buy the whole line forthe clips" song-n-dance to a tune of $250+. Then I tried 4local parts stores and got nothing that was a dead match. When I was on theDorman web-site I found part number 800-044 that was the closest to matching myclip. The package has 2 3/8" & 2 5/16" clips. Part number 800-043has 2 3/8" clips & part number 800-042 has 2 5/16" clips. The only difference was it is styled witha tab for releasing the clip unlike my original. The Napa equivalent part number to 800-044 is 730-6755. The Napa I called did not have it but he said another one did. I went there to put my eyes on the and marry it up to my broken pieces. For $21 I took a chance that it would work. See the attached picture for what they look like.

Put them in and they are holding the fuel line to the filter pretty tight even after starting the car. This clip is also easier to remove too that you lift the center section and push down on the outer rim of the button to pull it off. The only thing I noticed was the center lock doesn't seem to hold too tight to the outer rim. It just rattles a little but is locked in. So to air on some caution I put some heavy duty duck tape around the clip but not on the filter. This way if by chance it does leak I will see it.

I will give some time and check on it but I think I found a simple CHEAP fix to my mess. The only other cheap fix would be buy the Dorman line repair that comes with nylon tube on a connector that you splice on the original line. Why Ford thinks that spending $250+ just to get a $5+ dollar clip is a total crock.
Attached Thumbnails Help w/05 fuel filter screwup-800-044-007.jpg  
Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gpphillips
Ifyou look closely in the America Muscle pictures the first three is what I have.The clip is tight to the connector and you must use a fuel line release tool toget them off. DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER LIKE I DID. The 4th picture shows a bigsquare green button that you push to release the connector from the filter. Iasked my friend who has the same 05 V-6 and that is what he has. It baffled methat ford would use 2 different clips.

I went to 2 forddealers to get the "Sorry but you must buy the whole line forthe clips" song-n-dance to a tune of $250+. Then I tried 4local parts stores and got nothing that was a dead match. When I was on theDorman web-site I found part number 800-044 that was the closest to matching myclip. The package has 2 3/8" & 2 5/16" clips. Part number 800-043has 2 3/8" clips & part number 800-042 has 2 5/16" clips. The only difference was it is styled witha tab for releasing the clip unlike my original. The Napa equivalent part number to 800-044 is 730-6755. The Napa I called did not have it but he said another one did. I went there to put my eyes on the and marry it up to my broken pieces. For $21 I took a chance that it would work. See the attached picture for what they look like.

Put them in and they are holding the fuel line to the filter pretty tight even after starting the car. This clip is also easier to remove too that you lift the center section and push down on the outer rim of the button to pull it off. The only thing I noticed was the center lock doesn't seem to hold too tight to the outer rim. It just rattles a little but is locked in. So to air on some caution I put some heavy duty duck tape around the clip but not on the filter. This way if by chance it does leak I will see it.

I will give some time and check on it but I think I found a simple CHEAP fix to my mess. The only other cheap fix would be buy the Dorman line repair that comes with nylon tube on a connector that you splice on the original line. Why Ford thinks that spending $250+ just to get a $5+ dollar clip is a total crock.
they expect you to not break the clips by removing them incorrectly.

Search this Thread