Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I jack here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:17 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I jack here?

I've been jacking up the front of my 2006 GT in this spot for a while and I wanted to know what everyone thinks. Since I can't fit the floor jack too far under my side skirt ever since I lowered the car, I started using where the yellow circles are in the picture (borrowed it off of google). In the red shapes is where I was thinking of placing Jack stands. Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:56 PM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

Not a recommended jack point. Those areas are soft. If you are lowered use some ramps. Here is a link on making some cheaply. I made some that come apart for easy handling and storage. They work great. There are several other plans to make them but here is one.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

Last edited by dusman59; 10-30-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: *
Old 10-31-2016, 04:44 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I drive up on 2X12's and that allows me to use the center of the K-Member, been jacking that way with 2 lowered Mustangs.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:17 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

To answer the title question - NO.

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
I've been jacking up the front of my 2006 GT in this spot for a while and I wanted to know what everyone thinks. Since I can't fit the floor jack too far under my side skirt ever since I lowered the car, I started using where the yellow circles are in the picture (borrowed it off of google). In the red shapes is where I was thinking of placing Jack stands. Thoughts?
I'm betting that if you don't already hear an "oil-canning" sound when you push on the toe board to get out of your car . . . that sooner or later you will.

The sheetmetal can be bowed inward by jacking or supporting at that point, and your foot pressure pops it back down/out. But it doesn't stay in the out position (pops back in), so this keeps happening until you find a way to fix it.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-31-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:59 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the help everyone so far, i guess ill just make a set of ramps or a drive up so i can jack it from another spot. I didnt really want to but I guess I could always re-use it in the future for other cars after I sell this one soon.

Norm, no I havent yet luckily. What spots do you use?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Under the pinchweld in the vicinity of the recommended jack points . . . with a hockey puck on the lifting pad of the jack for cushioning/paint protection/spreading the load out. But since only the light-duty jackstands will fit close enough to the jack point, I leave the jack(s) in place as well and carrying a little of the load. On both sides when I'm lifting up one end of the car and going underneath (I have two HF jacks that lift up to 23+ inches so I can lift and lower the two sides more evenly).

I also have a set of steel ramps (the kind with the tie bars) and a variety of wooden DIY ramps that I'll use as much as possible, rather than any of the jacks (the two HF's plus 3 others) and jackstands (8 total).

Norm
Old 11-01-2016, 10:03 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

What is your ground clearance?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I bought a 8' 2x10, and cut it into 4 pieces with 45 degree miter cuts on the ends. I marked the spots on the garage floor where they need to be, and anytime I pull the car into the garage I put those boards down and drive up onto them. I can't get a jack under the car otherwise. But, this does allow me to jack by the K-member up front or the axle in back.